Honor the 11 victims of the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting
What can you accomplish in 11 minutes? You can fold a pile of laundry, empty the dishwasher, watch a few YouTube videos, or catch up on your emails. Instead, we’re asking you to dedicate 11 minutes of action in memory of the 11 people who lost their lives last Shabbat at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh. Here are 11 ideas to start you off—feel free to come up with your own and share them on social media under the hashtag #NEVERISNOW.
1. Add your name and a message to ADL’s Digital Vigil on on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or LinkedIn to express, Twitter, Instagram or LinkedIn to express solidarity and say #NeverIsNow. Share the Digital Vigil with friends and followers.
2. Show solidarity by updating your profile pic on Facebook using ADL’s #NeverIsNow frame.
3. Download and share ADL’s #NeverIsNow graphic on social media and in the real world. Print out our sign and post it in a prominent place at your school, workplace, storefront, or synagogue.
4. Donate to Tree of Life Synagogue to assist the families of the victims and help the community rebuild, or donate to your favorite meaningful charity.
5. Visit and volunteer at your local house of worship.
6. Young people have questions about what happened and what they can do. Download ADL’s educational resources, and use them to help you talk to a child in your life about hatred and the shooting at Tree of Life Synagogue.
7. Host a Shabbat dinner. On Friday, November 2nd, ADL in partnership with Together at the Table and others, are coming together to mobilize a grassroots movement of #SolidarityShabbat dinners dedicated to celebrating diversity, equality, and inclusion. We invite you to gather people in your communities and networks for a Together at the Table dinner to engage in constructive dialogue with a plurality of perspectives, to address deep, painful divides in our communities, and to consider the role we can play in strengthening civil discourse and society.
8. Show solidarity with the broader community by snapping a selfie with a friend of a different faith. Share it with the #NeverIsNow hashtag to show the world that we’re united against hate. Or, record a short video telling us why you stand against hate. Tag @ADL_National and use the #NeverIsNow hashtag.
9. Join the conversation on anti-Semitism and hate Dec. 3 at Never is Now 2018. Now more than ever, we must unite to denounce anti-Semitism and all forms of hate. Engage with keynote scholars and leading experts at the principal event where people concerned about the rise in anti-Semitism and hate come together to learn, interact and be inspired to make a difference. Register now!
10. Download and playIdentity Dominoes! Aspects of our identity influence our daily interactions with others.Identity Dominoes allows you to have fun with family, friends, and colleagues while exploring the things you have in common and the things that make you different from one another.
11. Bring an ADL program to your community. We educate teachers and students against bullying and bias, and we work with community leaders and train law enforcement personnel to understand and combat hate crimes and discrimination.
Learn more about how ADL is combating anti-Semitism, hate and extremism:
Never Is Now: ADL's Annual Summit on Anti-Semitism and Hate