The one-year commemoration of the attack on three congregations in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania — Congregation Dor Hadash, New Light Congregation and Tree of Life * Or L'Simcha Congregation — is a time to remember and mourn, but also a time for action. To honor those lost, we urge you to join the fight against hate. Whether you have a day, a few hours or just a few minutes, you can make a meaningful difference in your own community and beyond.
We remember the 11 lives lost:
Join us to take action in their honor:
1. MEMORIALIZE the 11 lives lost by signing up to take part in Pause with Pittsburgh — a collective virtual moment of unity and remembrance — at 5pm EST on Sunday, October 27
2. VOLUNTEER with your favorite organization.
3. SUPPORT Pittsburgh and remember those lost by attending a memorial event in your community.
4. SEND a message of solidarity by visiting the Pittsburgh October 27 website.
5. TALK to young people about the consequences of hate. (Here are some educational resources to help answer common questions or choose a book from our Books Matter collection to share stories of bias, diversity and standing up to hate).
6. HOST a Shabbat dinner or gathering using our Shabbat Table Talk: Remembering 10/27/18 to reflect on the events of last year.
7. LEARN how you can help stop the spread of hate online by reporting it directly to social media platforms using our Cyber Safety Action Guide.
8. REPORT incidents of anti-Semitism to ADL and/or local law enforcement.
10. JOIN the fight against online hate by signing our Backspace Hate petition and encouraging our government to take action.
11. MAKE a difference by reaching out to your local ADL office to learn how you can get involved.
And if you are doing anything to memorialize the Pittsburgh shooting, including helping stop the spread of hate or volunteering with an organization that matters to you, please share your actions on social media using the hashtag #FightHateForGood.