THE WEEK’S BIG 3
U.S. Jewish groups, including ADL, and foreign leaders are congratulating President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris on their election win. New research from ADL’s Center on Extremism indicates that some extremists are planning to show up at this weekend’s “Million MAGA March” in D.C. A New York City man was arrested Tuesday and is facing federal charges after he allegedly made death threats against people celebrating President-elect Joe Biden's victory.
Read on for more on these headlines, news you can use to fight hate and the latest info about ADL from around the country.
1) ADL Congratulates Biden and Harris on Election Victory
“Anti-Defamation League CEO Jonathan Greenblatt called the 2020 election year ‘without precedent in American history, not only due to the challenges of the pandemic, but also because it took place in the shadow of record levels of antisemitism and rising hate, the mainstreaming of online conspiracy theories such as QAnon and attempts by domestic extremists to undermine the voting process.’” Haaretz: LEARN MORE
2) ‘Million MAGA March’ Planned for Saturday in D.C.
“The groups have assigned the gathering different names: the Million MAGA March, the March for Trump, Stop the Steal DC. But they’re all set to take place Saturday in the nation’s capital, around noon, with most set to congregate near Freedom Plaza, just east of the White House, though some groups have also suggested the Supreme Court building down the National Mall.” Politico: FULL STORY
“Brian Maiorana, 54, of Staten Island allegedly posted threats on social media before and after the election calling for violence, made anti-Semitic threats toward Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and threatened to ‘blow up the FBI building for real.’” USA Today: READ MORE
KEY ADL SOCIAL STATEMENTS
- While Parler is not an extremist platform, the site hosts a growing number of users who adhere to a variety of extremist ideologies alongside its mainstream userbase...
- @GOPLeader, having QAnon in your party isn’t “diverse,” it’s dangerous & it's why we urge you to block them from leadership roles…
- It is an outrage that Brig. Gen. Anthony Tata (ret.) is now acting as Under Secretary of Defense for Policy. The Senate refused to confirm him for this exact job because of his record of unacceptable intolerant remarks…
IN THE COMMUNITY
- ‘A dark chapter of hate closes’: Notorious racist leader Tom Metzger dead at 82 (Los Angeles Times)
- KSAT anchor leads discussion on bigotry against Asian American, Jewish communities amid COVID-19 pandemic (ABC San Antonio – Mark Toubin featured)
- Georgia’s election-weary Jewish community is ready for another fight (Forward)
ADL IN THE NEWS
- How the Anti-Defamation League Is Fighting Election Misinformation Online (KQED)
- Armed men arrested near Philadelphia vote counting location (Associated Press)
- Garry Kasparov to receive ADL award at antisemitism summit (The Jerusalem Post)