THE WEEK’S BIG 3
A third of Jewish college students say they have personally experienced antisemitism in the last year, according to a new survey conducted jointly by ADL and Hillel. ADL CEO Jonathan Greenblatt blasted Facebook following the publication of a series of articles revealing the company's struggles to stop hate speech, human trafficking and coordinated groups that sowed discord ahead of the January 6 insurrection. Community leaders are rallying behind the Austin area's Jewish residents following three antisemitic incidents that occurred over the weekend.
Read on for more on these headlines, news you can use to fight hate and the latest info about ADL from around the country.
- New Survey: One-Third of Jewish Students Have Experienced Antisemitism on Campus
“In all, the survey found 43% of Jewish college students had experienced and/or witnessed antisemitic activity in the past year. Among those who witnessed it, the most common experience was seeing swastikas around campus or vandalism to Jewish fraternities, sororities and cultural buildings.” Religion News Service: READ MORE
+ Jonathan Greenblatt tweet: .@ADL’s new survey in partnership with @HillelIntl shows incidents of antisemitism on college campuses are much higher than we thought and demonstrates the urgency and necessity of ADL’s new partnership with Hillel.
Anti-Defamation League Slams Facebook for Allowing Hate Speech to Spread on Platforms“The comments come after a consortium of 17 US news organizations began publishing articles based on the Facebook Papers, a trove of hundreds of internal documents that were included in disclosures made to the Securities and Exchange Commission and provided to Congress in redacted form by Facebook whistleblower Frances Haugen's legal counsel.” CNN: LEARN MORE
+ WATCH: Jonathan Greenblatt on CNN’s The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer
+ ADL tweet: Our expert @DSifry is testifying before the Senate @HSGAC on how social media companies amplify domestic extremism and harmful content. Bottom line: they amplify problematic content because it's $ for the bottom line.
Austin Rallies Behind Jewish Community After 3 Antisemitic Incidents Over Weekend
“The Anti-Defamation League in Austin, the local chapter of a national nonprofit group focused on responding to complaints of discrimination, racism and anti-Semitism, explained that the Far West Boulevard overpass, where the extremist group stood to display the banner, is in an area that's home to many of the city's Jewish residents.” Austin American-Statesman: FULL STORY+ WATCH: ADL’s Renee Lafair on FOX Austin
+ ADL Resource: Goyim Defense League
KEY ADL SOCIAL STATEMENTS
- As I said last week at Pittsburgh's #EradicateHate summit, the strength and perseverance that the community has shown in the face of tragedy three years later is an inspiration we should all take with us and learn from…
- The updated @FBI hate crime report shows even more disturbing trends in hate crimes affecting marginalized groups across the country. Hate crimes continue to affect not just individuals targeted, but also entire communities, and deserve dedicated attention and resources…
- This hateful Texas bill targeting trans students’ participation in sports is the latest affront to individuals’ gender identities and LGBTQ rights. Students should be accepted for who they are, not exploited for cultural debate…
IN THE COMMUNITY
- Jewish advocacy groups call for measures to combat antisemitism in San Diego schools (CBS San Diego – Kelsey Greenberg Young interviewed)
- Using Nazi symbols to protest vaccines is disgraceful (Deseret News – Seth Brysk joint op-ed)
- Pennsylvania School Board Gets Violent Antisemitic Threats Following Mask Mandate (Newsweek)
ADL IN THE NEWS
- Antisemitism on the left is subtler than on the right. But it’s getting worse. (The Washington Post – Jonathan Greenblatt op-ed)
- Oath Keepers Use a Dystopian Fever Dream to Snare Police Forces, Military Vets (Rolling Stone Magazine)
- The trial of the Charlottesville 'Unite the Right' organizers is underway (NPR)
For more information about Fighting Hate for Good with ADL, subscribe to Headlines and our other free email newsletters:
Headlines > The latest news stories from across the country and around the globe in the fight against antisemitism, extremism and hate.
Center on Extremism Monthly > News, trends and a look at the work ADL's Center on Extremism (COE) experts do every day.
My Region's Newsletter > ADL in your community, fighting antisemitism, extremism and hate of all kinds — and ways you can get more involved.
Fighting Hate Online > News, trends and legislation to fight online hate and harassment from ADL‘s Center for Technology and Society.
Education Update > Anti-bias curricula, lesson plans and resources to help promote equity in schools and communities.
Advocacy Matters > ADL’s vital policy work in Washington and around the country, and actions you can take to counter hate and extremism.
International Report > Our work around the world fighting antisemitism and other forms of hate, and what you can do to get more involved.
ADL Latinx > Issues of interest to the Latinx community and resources in both English and Spanish.