Anti-Semitic conspiracy theorist Kevin Barrett claims he was accepted to present a paper at the 3rd Islamophobia and Civil Society Conference in Paris, sponsored by University of California, Berkeley’s Center for Race & Gender.
The conference, which appears to have recently been canceled, was organized by BDS activist and Berkeley professor Hatem Bazian, the Chairman of American Muslims for Palestine (AMP), the leading organization providing anti-Zionist training and education to students and Muslim community organizations in the country.
Barrett, a former University of Wisconsin-Madison instructor, is a frequent contributor to Iran’s English language propaganda news network Press TV and Veterans Today, a U.S.-based website that presents anti-Semitic conspiracy theories as news. Even Barrett himself seems surprised he was accepted to present at Bazian’s conference. On his GoFundMe page, where he has raised $2,175 to fund his trip to Paris, he wrote, “Amazingly, I just had a hard-hitting, truth-telling paper accepted for a mainstream academic conference: The 3rd Islamophobia and Civil Society Conference to be held in Paris December 11th-12th 2015.” Barrett hoped that by presenting at the conference, he could send the message, “Keep our universities open to people who are willing to think taboo thoughts and ask the hard questions!”
In Barrett’s synopsis of the paper he was accepted to present, titled “Taboo on Questioning: Silencing the Muslim Other,” he alludes to his typical anti-Semitic conspiracy theories. In a discussion on whether the January 2015 terror attacks at the Charlie Hebdo office and a kosher supermarket in Paris were “largely fabricated by Western security agencies to mobilize public opinion for a war on Islam,” Barrett examines questions like “What are we to make of Netanyahu's repeated threats during the run-up to the shootings that if France recognized or sided with Palestine it would be hit by terrorists?”
Trying to blame Jews or Israel for acts of terrorism is nothing new for Barrett. Some recent examples of his anti-Semitic conspiracy theories include:
- In a November 13 Veterans Today article titled “Another French False Flag?” Barrett states that “Since we now know the Charlie Hebdo attack was a…false flag by the usual suspects (NATO hardliners and Zionists), can we safely make the same assumption about these new Friday the 13th Paris atrocities? I think we can.” Barrett added “The first question, as always, is: Who gains? And the answer, as always, is: Authoritarian insiders. Zionists. Militarists. Islamophobes. New World Order-Out-Of-Chaos freaks.”
- In Barrett’s book We Are Not Charlie Hebdo! Free Thinkers Question the French 9/11 he claims that the January Paris attacks were just one in a long history of events – such as the 9/11 attacks and the 2001 anthrax poisonings – perpetrated by Israel in order to “incite hatred of Muslims and solidarity with Israel.”
- In a January 20 Press TV article titled “Zionist NWO murders Iranian general, American filmmaker,” Barrett claims that “The Zionists created ISIL and sent it to fight Muslims and Christians in Syria and Iraq…New World Order Zionism is also targeting the USA for destruction.”
- Barrett stated in a February 17 Press TV article titled “9/11 attack was Zionist coup d-etat to seize power in US: Scholar” that “…Zionist pre-emptive murderers excel at ‘killing the future’…A team of Zionist-liked professional killers executed a total of 77 people [2011 attacks in Norway], while Zionist-freemasonic assets in the Norwegian police and military stood by.”
- In the same February 2015 article Barrett stated that “The September 11, 2001 attacks in the United States were a Zionist ‘coup d’etat’ to seize power in the country and launch a permanent war on Islam on behalf of Israel…”