Update — 5/26/15: An updated list of 2015 anti-Semitic incidents on campus is available here.
After the alarming anti-Semitic incident at UCLA earlier this month, the problem of anti-Semitism on college campuses has become a national discussion.
While such incidents are certainly disturbing, it must be noted that these incidents are relatively rare, and the vast majority of Jewish students feels safe on their campuses. When such incidents do occur, they are generally condemned by administrators and the wider campus communities at their respective colleges.
That being said, the incident at UCLA was not the only anti-Semitic incident to take place so far in 2015. Other anti-Semitic incidents include:
- A dorm at Purchase College, SUNY was vandalized on March 18 with swastikas and other hateful graffiti.
- Swastikas were spray-painted inside the house of a Jewish fraternity (Alpha Epsilon Pi) at Vanderbilt University on March 15.
- At University of California, Berkeley, the phrase "Zionists should be sent to the gas chamber" was found in a campus restroom in March and a swastika was found on a university owned building in February.
- On February 22, University of Chicago students and staff reported anti-Semitic posts on a Facebook page called UChicago Secrets, such as “People are hypocrites. This is a fact. One example? The Jews at UChicago…” and “As a Person of Palestinian descent, I don’t think it is unreasonable or horrific for me to hate Jews…”
- Also at the end of February, threatening anti-Semitic comments were posted on Yik Yak (an anonymous social media app that allows people to send and receive posts in a localized area) for the University of Chicago area. Some posts named specific students, while other expressed more general anti-Semitic sentiments such as, “Gas them, burn them and dismantle their power structure. Humanity cannot progress with the parasitic Jew.”
- At the end of February, three swastikas were drawn inside a George Washington University dorm.
- On January 31, two large swastikas were spray-painted on the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity house at the University of California, Davis.
If you have experienced an anti-Semitic incident on campus or elsewhere, please report it to ADL through our website.