THE WEEK’S BIG 3
There was a 50 percent increase in arrests and plots linked to domestic Islamist extremism in the United States in 2019, according to new data from ADL. The international Jewish community expressed concern and condemnation over a purported arson attack on the Tomb of Esther and Mordechai in Iran. The House Subcommittee on Intelligence and Counterterrorism had an online hearing on Wednesday to discuss the rise of extremism during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Read on for more on these headlines, news you can use to fight hate and the latest info about ADL from around the country.
1. Domestic Islamist Extremism Arrests and Plots in US Jumped 50% Last Year, New ADL Data Shows
“According to the data, compiled by the ADL’s Center on Extremism, there were a total of 30 arrests linked to domestic Islamist extremism in 2019, nine of which were for terror plots.” Algemeiner: READ MORE
2. Holy Jewish Site of Esther and Mordechai Set Ablaze in Iran
“National Director of Anti-Defamation League (ADL) Jonathan Greenblatt announced Friday on Twitter that the tomb of Esther and Mordechai in Iran was torched. ‘Disturbing reports from Iran that the tomb of Esther & Mordechai, a holy Jewish site, was set afire overnight. We hope that the authorities bring the perpetrators of this antisemitic act to justice & commit to protecting the holy sites of all religious minorities in Iran,’ Greenblatt tweeted.” The Jerusalem Post: FULL STORY
3. House Panel: Extremists Exploit Coronavirus Crisis to Spread Hate
“The House Subcommittee on Intelligence and Counterterrorism had an online hearing on Wednesday to discuss the rise of extremism during the COVID-19 pandemic. Rep. Max Rose (D-New York) moderated a panel with Anti-Defamation League CEO Jonathan Greenblatt and Ali Soufan, a leading national security and counterterrorism expert.” The Jerusalem Post: FULL STORY
KEY ADL SOCIAL STATEMENTS
- Khamenei, the Supreme Leader of the #1 state sponsor of antisemitism + terror, is calling for the “final solution" to destroy the Jewish state.
- Glad to see the Valencia government in Spain is no longer having BDS activists teach this course about #antisemitism.
- Today, and everyday, we celebrate the good that schools around the country are doing to be more inclusive and equitable.
IN THE COMMUNITY
- We shouldn’t have to say this: Stop comparing pandemic shutdown to Nazi Germany (Philadelphia Inquirer – Shira Goodman op-ed)
- Anti-Defamation League Warns of ‘Disturbing Rhetoric’ at Illinois Rallies (NBC Chicago – David Goldenberg featured)\
- ADL, Birmingham Jewish Federation urge education after video of students with swastikas (FOX Birmingham, AL)
ADL IN THE NEWS
- Far-right groups are spreading racist, false claims about shooting victim Ahmaud Arbery, analysts say (The Washington Post)
- EU Parliament Condemns Anti-Semitic Incitement in Palestinian Textbooks (Jewish Journal)
- ADL: Anti-Semitism Is ‘Not Constrained by Specific Ideology or Politics’ (Jewish Journal)