THE WEEK’S BIG 3
After years of urging from ADL and other civil rights organizations, Facebook will ban posts that deny the Holocaust. A video has gone viral on social media of a man shouting at a Hasidic Jewish man for not wearing a mask on an empty New York City street. YouTube on Thursday became the latest social media giant to take steps to stop QAnon, the sprawling right-wing conspiracy theory community whose online fantasies about a cabal of satanic pedophiles running the world have spilled over into offline violence.
Read on for more on these headlines, news you can use to fight hate and the latest info about ADL from around the country.
“Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced the new policy Monday, the latest attempt by the company to take action against conspiracy theories and misinformation ahead of the U.S. presidential election three weeks away.” Associated Press: READ MORE
2) NYC Jewish Man Berated for Not Wearing Mask on Empty Street
“The video, which appeared to be taken from someone driving a car, features a man shouting at the Hasidic Jewish man, ‘Put your f—ing mask on! Put your mask on! There’s COVID cases! Hurry up! Put it on!’ The Jewish man, who was talking on the phone, puts his mask on. Nobody was around him.” Jewish Journal: FULL STORY
3) YouTube Cracks Down on QAnon Conspiracy Theory, Citing Offline Violence
“The company announced in a blog post that it was updating its hate speech and harassment policies to prohibit ‘content that targets an individual or group with conspiracy theories that have been used to justify real-world violence.’ The new policy will prohibit content promoting QAnon, as well as related conspiracy theories such as Pizzagate, which falsely claims that top Democrats and Hollywood elites are running an underground sex-trafficking ring from the basement of a Washington pizza restaurant.” The New York Times: FULL STORY
KEY ADL SOCIAL STATEMENTS
- Encouraged @Twitter is confirming that #Holocaustdenialism = #antisemitsm and they will push it off the platform…
- No matter what it could be, we can all find our own ways to speak out against hate during ADL’s #WalkAgainstHate…
- FYI, @MarshaBlackburn, conspiracy theories about #GeorgeSoros are an entry point into antisemitic beliefs about Jewish power and malevolence…
IN THE COMMUNITY
- US Rep. Jahana Hayes called derogatory terms during Newtown meeting (News 12 Connecticut)
- San Diego Rabbi Assaulted by Teenager (Jewish Journal)
- Swastika stickers found on Bellingham businesses in hate crime incident, police say (ABC Seattle – Miri Cypers interviewed)