Update - 10/20/15: After alerting Google, Facebook and Twitter to the problematic material cited in this blog post, all the items have been removed by those services in a prompt manner.
As violence escalates in Israel, content has emerged across social media platforms—including YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter—not only urging people to stab Jews, but providing instructional information on how to stab people and which knives to use.
The following is a sampling of Arabic-language posts ADL has identified in the past several days specifically providing information about how to stab victims. While such content is available is many languages, the Arabic language content seems geared toward Arabic speakers in Israel.
The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) is alerting various social media companies about this content. ADL continues to work with the industry to improve policies and protocols for the removal of content that triggers violence or promotes bigotry, content that is contrary to the companies’ terms of service.
ADL continues to encourage the public to report such content. ADL Cyber-Safety Action Guide provides quick and easy access to company policies and complaint forms.
- A video featuring two masked men demonstrating several stabbing techniques is available on several YouTube channels. The video, posted on October 5, is listed under several titles, including “Learn how to stab a Jew.” The video is also circulating on Facebook and Twitter.
- A number of Twitter users started posting a graphic last week describing what type of knife should be used for stabbing attacks in Israel. The image includes the following instructions: “Circulate: Regarding the Youth in the occupied lands, they must use serrated knives in stabbing so the air can enter the body of the target, which leads to immediate death, and the destruction of organs when the knife is pulled.”
“[Right side, in red] Use this” “[Left side, in green] don’t use this”
- Other Twitter users using an Arabic hashtag “Slaughtering the Jews” posted a message that reads: “Don’t hesitate in using this quality (vegetable knife) as it’s the strongest in causing pain #SlaughteringtheJews.” Below is an example from October 8.
- Several Twitter users recommend attaching a camera to the knife to record the stabbing in HD. For example, the tweet below from October 5 includes an image of a GoPro camera attached to a knife and hashtags that translate to “West Bank is uprising” “Stab a soldier with a knife to liberate Palestine” and “Intifada started.”
- The following image posted on Facebook on October 14 shows a diagram of the circulatory system with suggestions of areas to stab. The image was included with an Arabic Facebook hashtag “Stab.”
- The following image posted on Instagram on October 12 reads, “When you stab, put poison on the knife or soak the knife in vinegar. Stab with a screw driver and insert it in the neck….stabber stabber stab correctly.”