Even as Iran seeks to mend ties with Argentina over the 1994 terrorist attack on the AMIA Jewish Community Center in Buenos Aires, Iran continues to be implicated in terror plots on Western, Israeli and Jewish targets around the world.
Yesterday, Nigerian security services announced the arrest of three men accused of surveilling targets for a possible Iranian-backed attack in the city of Lagos. The three men, all Nigerians, were tasked with gathering “intelligence on public places and prominent hotels frequented by American and Israelis” according to a State Security Service spokeswoman. She also claimed that the leader of the cell sent pictures of the local Israeli culture center to his Iranian handlers. The leader has confessed to spying on behalf of Iran.
Also yesterday, a man on trial in Cyprus for scouting targets where Israelis were likely to be present admitted to being a member of the Iranian-backed terrorist organization Hezbollah. He was arrested less than two weeks before a bombing in Burgas, Bulgaria, killed five Israelis in July of last year. Bulgaria officially implicated two members of Hezbollah in the attack earlier this month.
Since the beginning of 2012, Iran and its proxies have been implicated in a series of plots and attacks on Jewish and Israeli targets, including:
- January 2012: A failed bomb plot targeting Israelis in Thailand was linked to Iran-backed Hezbollah.
- January 2012: Azerbaijani authorities arrested two men linked to Iranian intelligence over a plot to attack the Israeli Ambassador and a local rabbi.
- February 2012: Iranian intelligence was linked to the bombing of an Israeli embassy vehicle in India which injured the wife of the Israeli Defense Attaché and three others.
- February 2012: Israel blamed Iran after a bomb was discovered targeting an embassy car in Georgia; it was defused before it exploded.
- February 2012: Azerbaijan arrested members of a cell working linked to Iran and Hezbollah in a plot to target the Israeli Embassy and a Jewish cultural center.
- February 2012: An explosion in Bangkok led to the arrest of three Iranians.
- March 2012: Azerbaijan arrested members of a cell targeting the Israeli and American embassies on behalf of Iran.
- April 2012: Intelligence services reportedly searched for Iranian agent in Turkey suspected of plotting attacks on Western, Israeli and Jewish targets.
- April 2012: India expelled an Iranian national listed by the Iranian consulate as a government employee after he was found casing Israeli and Jewish sites in the city of Pune.
- June 2012: Two Iranians were arrested in Kenya in possession of chemicals that authorities claimed would be used for bombs. They reportedly were plotting to attack Israeli, American, British or Saudi targets.
- July 2012: Cypriot authorities arrested a dual Swedish-Lebanese citizen accused of surveilling Israeli targets for a possible attack for Iran-backed Hezbollah.
- July 2012: At least two members of Iran-backed Hezbollah killed 5 Israelis and their Bulgarian bus driver in the bombing of a tour bus in Burgas, Bulgaria.