May 30, 2018
THE WEEK'S BIG 3
Jews in Germany were warned that wearing a kippah in public may be dangerous, due to a disturbing increase in anti-Semitic incidents. The Ku Klux Klan attempted to hold a rally in Dayton, Ohio over the weekend but failed spectacularly – being out numbered 600 to nine. Twitter is weighing whether banning white nationalists from their platform or allowing them to stay on and be debated is the proper approach in dealing with this issue.
Read on for more on these headlines, news you can use to fight hate, and the latest info about ADL from around the country.
German Official Warned Jews Against Wearing the Kippah. After Backlash, He Urged All Germans to Put Them On in Support.
“[Felix] Klein, Germany’s governmental anti-Semitism representative, agreed that his warning should not be interpreted as a capitulation, however, and said that all Germans should wear the kippah as a sign of support this Saturday, when protesters are expected to rally for an annual al Quds march in Berlin, which has been condemned as anti-Semitic.” The Washington Post:
+ The Old Scourge of Anti-Semitism Rises Anew in Europe – The New York Times
+ Anti-Semitic Crime Rises in Germany, and Far Right is Blamed – The New York Times
+ “More action is needed to ensure the Jewish community’s safety in Germany and Europe…” – Jonathan Greenblatt tweet
“The Klan-affiliated group was confined to the courthouse square, and the members were separated from protesters by a fence. In the end, however, the protest remained peaceful and there ‘no arrests, no citations and no use of force…’” TIME Magazine:
“The company is trying to decide, in part, whether white supremacists should be banned from the site or should be allowed to stay on the platform so their views can be debated by others…” VICE Motherboard:
KEY ADL SOCIAL STATEMENTS
• “We have spoken up against @SteveKingIA’s repeated bigoted comments in the past and will continue to do so…”
• Congrats to the 2019 graduating class at West Point, the most diverse class in the academy’s history…
• We stand in solidarity together to protect Mexican nationals and immigrants living in America who face bigotry, hatred and violence…
IN THE COMMUNITY
• ‘Synagogue of Satan’ Graffiti Found on NY Chabad (Jewish Journal)
• Ore. Lawmakers Add Holocaust Education to School Curriculum (Associated Press)
• Cobb DA Asked to Retract Comments Comparing Fellow Prosecutors to ‘Nazis’ in Abortion Debate (WXIA-TV, NBC Atlanta)
ADL IN THE NEWS
• Mexico, Anti-Defamation League Team Up to Fight Anti-Immigrant Hate Crimes (The Hill)
• Measles Can Be Contained. Anti-Semitism Cannot. (The Atlantic)
• ADL Raps Trump Adviser’s Holocaust Comment as ‘Offensive, Idiotic’ (Algemeiner)