THE WEEK'S BIG 3
A string of anti-Semitic assaults on Orthodox Jews in Brooklyn has the community on edge. In Russellville, Arkansas, neo-Nazis disrupted a Holocaust Remembrance Day event to voice their support for a Holocaust-denying professor, who Arkansas Tech University is planning on honoring with a scholarship in his name. A state representative in Pennsylvania was seen taking a selfie with an alleged white supremacist, prompting ADL and other community leaders to demand an apology.
Read on for more on these headlines and other news you can use to fight hate this week.
“’We cannot allow anti-Semitic assaults to become the new normal. ADL remains committed to continuing our efforts with all New Yorkers to help stop this unacceptable anti-Semitic violence,’ said Evan Bernstein, ADL NY/NJ Regional Director.” WABC-TV, ABC New York: READ MORE
“ATU (Arkansas Tech University) announced in December 2018 that it would be naming a scholarship in honor of professor Michael Link who taught history there for 51 years, having received more than $190,000 from his estate. In April, ADL, along with dozens of Jewish community leaders, wrote a letter to the ATU president condemning the decision to name a scholarship after Link, following accusations of anti-Semitism and Holocaust denial against the professor.” Newsweek: READ MORE
“In the photo, taken Monday a gun rights rally at the state Capitol, State Rep. Stephanie Borowicz appears alongside a man wearing a shirt with the name and logo of the American Guard, which anti-hate group organizations describe as having close ties to white supremacists.’” Philadelphia Inquirer: READ MORE
KEY ADL SOCIAL STATEMENTS
- For over a decade, Imam Chalghoumi has been one of the most outspoken Muslim leaders fighting #antiSemitism and Islamic extremism…
- On the first anniversary of the zero-tolerance policy separating families, we must recommit to fighting for every family to be reunited…
- We mourn the 3 Israelis killed by Hamas rockets and extend our condolences to their families…
IN THE COMMUNITY
- Miami Man Accused of Threatening to “Explode the Jewish Community” (WFOR-TV, CBS Miami)
- The Cubs Are Investigating a Fan’s Alleged Racist Hand Gesture: ‘Such Ignorant and Repulsive Behavior is Not Tolerated at Wrigley’ (Chicago Tribune)
- Kids Invoke Beheadings in ‘Disturbing’ Video at Muslim American Society (Jewish Exponent, Philadelphia)
ADL IN THE NEWS
- With Rising Anti-Semitism, Jews Need Israel More Than Ever. (Forward – Sharon Nazarian Op-Ed)
- How Trump Has Attempted to Recast His Response to Charlottesville (The Washington Post)
- Facing Increasing attacks, More Security Funding Needed for US Synagogues (The Jerusalem Post)
To get Headlines in your inbox every Thursday, subscribe to this free ADL newsletter today.