THE WEEK’S BIG 3
An 18-year-old college student and recent member of the Texas State Guard who is accused of setting a fire at an Austin synagogue faces a federal arson charge for the Halloween incident. The assault of a Jewish man in Brooklyn last Thursday by an unknown assailant has prompted an investigation by New York police and a reward from ADL. Michael Flynn, former President Donald Trump’s national security adviser, was soundly condemned by Jewish and Muslim groups for suggesting that the United States should unite under one religion.
Read on for more on these headlines, news you can use to fight hate and the latest info about ADL from around the country.
- Texas Teen Charged with Allegedly Setting Austin Synagogue on Fire
“Prosecutors allege that Franklin Barrett Sechriest, an 18-year-old student at Texas State University, intentionally lit a fire at the Congregation Beth Israel synagogue on the night of Oct. 31, and upon searching his Jeep Cherokee, agents recovered ingredients for Molotov cocktails, according to the complaint and affidavit, which were filed on Friday.” ABC News: LEARN MORE
Latest Antisemitic Assault on Jewish Man in Brooklyn Prompts $10,000 Reward
“Recent weeks have seen several attacks on Jews in Brooklyn that were coupled with antisemitic slurs, including a man who was struck with a projectile from a moving car, a man who was beaten outside a nightclub, and a pregnant woman who had a drink thrown in her face.” Algemeiner: FULL STORY+ READ: ADL Offers 10K Reward Following Alleged Antisemitic Attack in Crown Heights
Michael Flynn Calls for the US to Have ‘One Religion,’ Sparking Outrage from Jewish Groups
“’If we are going to have one nation under God, which we must, we have to have one religion,’ Flynn said Saturday at a rally in Texas for ReAwaken America, a Christian-themed speaking tour backed by the Christian news network America Faith. ‘One nation under God, and one religion under God.’” JTA: READ MORE+ Jonathan Greenblatt tweet: “To suggest that the United States of America, a nation founded on twin bedrocks of pluralism and the freedom to practice any religion, should “have one religion” is anti-American, antidemocratic and downright dangerous.”
KEY ADL SOCIAL STATEMENTS
- We are glad to see that Natali and Mordy Oknin are no longer in Turkish custody and safely back in Israel. Grateful to all those involved in securing their release…
- Our experts found dozens of Facebook groups and pages explicitly dedicated to promoting the Protocols of the Elders of Zion in Arabic. There is no excuse for hosting this kind of fundamental anti-Jewish hate on mainstream social media platforms…
- .@Sifill_LDF is one of the most influential minds of our time, and her accomplishments at the @NAACP_LDF have been astounding. I'm proud to call her a friend and partner in the fight to secure justice and fair treatment for all...
IN THE COMMUNITY
- Residents find flyers with racist messages promoting ‘white power’ in Spring neighborhoods (NBC Houston – Mark Toubin interviewed)
- Federal judge rejects attempt to extract $300 million from Loveland through 'bogus' arbitration (Colorado Springs Gazette)
- Amazon removes ‘Gas the JEWS’ holiday tumbler (Cleveland Jewish News)
ADL IN THE NEWS
- Anti-vax protesters held posters with Nazi symbols outside office of Jewish lawmaker in New York (Insider)
- Rittenhouse case, Arbery death trial reflect deepening political and racial divides (USA Today)
For more information about Fighting Hate for Good with ADL, subscribe to Headlines and our other free email newsletters:
Headlines > The latest news stories from across the country and around the globe in the fight against antisemitism, extremism and hate.
Center on Extremism Monthly > News, trends and a look at the work ADL's Center on Extremism (COE) experts do every day.
My Region's Newsletter > ADL in your community, fighting antisemitism, extremism and hate of all kinds — and ways you can get more involved.
Fighting Hate Online > News, trends and legislation to fight online hate and harassment from ADL‘s Center for Technology and Society.
Education Update > Anti-bias curricula, lesson plans and resources to help promote equity in schools and communities.
Advocacy Matters > ADL’s vital policy work in Washington and around the country, and actions you can take to counter hate and extremism.
International Report > Our work around the world fighting antisemitism and other forms of hate, and what you can do to get more involved.
ADL Latinx > Issues of interest to the Latinx community and resources in both English and Spanish.