THE WEEK’S BIG 3
Organizers of the “DC Dyke March” attempted to implement a ban on Jewish Pride flags, claiming they too closely resemble the flag of Israel. In Detroit, a small group of neo-Nazis carrying weapons disrupted an LGBTQ Pride march by spewing homophobic, racist and anti-Semitic slurs at participants and pretending to defile an Israeli flag. A gay man in Atlanta was shot and killed in what police are classifying as a hate crime.
Read on for more on these headlines, news you can use to fight hate, and the latest info about ADL from around the country.
“… no ‘nationalist symbols’ including flags and banners that represent ‘nations that have specific oppressive tendencies’ were to be allowed at the march. This included the Jewish Pride flag of rainbow colors with a white Star of David in the middle…” JTA: READ MORE
+ “The DC Dyke March banning flags and signs with the Star of David is #antiSemitic…” – Jonathan Greenblatt tweet
“Detroit Police Chief James Craig said two of the National Socialist Movement members were armed with long guns, and three with handguns. ‘They were open carrying,’ he said. ‘And from what I’m told it was their intent, that they wanted a Charlottesville number two.’” WWJ Radio, Detroit: READ MORE
+ “It was a disgraceful display & a reminder that we have long way to go to make America #NoPlaceForHate – Jonathan Greenblatt tweet
“Ronald Peters was shot multiple times on his way to the MARTA station before work. Witnesses said the gunman used an anti-gay slur before asking Peters to hand over his bag, the police report said.” Atlanta Journal-Constitution: READ MORE
KEY ADL SOCIAL STATEMENTS
• It is troubling the Cambridge Union is providing a platform to Malaysian PM Mahathir, an unrepentant anti-Semite…
• The Matthew Shepard & James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crime Prevention Act is the most important & inclusive federal hate crime enforcement law passed in over 40 years…
• 100% of domestic Islamist extremist plots in 2018 were linked to individuals living in the U.S. legally…
IN THE COMMUNITY
• Point Loma High School Hate-Speech on Social Media (KNSD-TV, NBC San Diego – Tammy Gillies interviewed)
• A “Superhighway of Hate:” Extremism is Flourishing in Florida (Florida Phoenix)
• Former Militia Member: ‘All They Wanted to do was Shoot Guns’ (WCPO-TV, ABC Cincinnati)
ADL IN THE NEWS
• How YouTube Erased History in its Battle Against White Supremacy (The Washington Post)
• Why YouTube and Social Platforms are Struggling to Deal with Hate Speech (Mic.com)
• Second Swastika Found in Two Weeks at New Jersey High School (Forward)
To get Headlines in your inbox every Thursday, subscribe to this free ADL newsletter today.