THE WEEK'S BIG 3
A white supremacist opens fire at a synagogue in Poway, California during end of Passover services, killing one and injuring three. Meanwhile, new data from ADL documented a 105% increase in assaults on Jews in 2018. The New York Times apologizes for publishing an anti-Semitic cartoon and promises to take additional steps to prevent it from happening again.
Read on for more on these headlines, news you can use to fight hate this week, and the latest info about ADL from around the country.
Read on for more on these headlines, news you can use to fight hate this week, and the latest info about ADL around the country.
White Supremacist, Filled with Hatred for Jews, Kills One and Injures Three Others at Chabad Near San Diego
“’She [Lori Kaye] was more about living than taking and she did it with such a smile,’ Rabbi Yisroel Goldstein said. As an example, he said Kaye had made it a mission to accompany one woman diagnosed with breast cancer to every one of her oncology visits. ‘She went out of her way until the moment that that woman passed away.’” CNN: READ MORE
Anti-Semitic Assaults Tripled in 2018, Says a New ADL Report
“The report – the organization’s latest accounting of anti-Semitism – found that 59 Jews were physically assaulted in 39 separate incidents last year, including the 13 people who were killed or wounded in the Pittsburgh shooting massacre. Those totals were up from 21 assault victims in 19 incidents in 2017.’” Los Angeles Times: READ MORE
New York Times Editorial Board Apologizing for Anti-Semitic Cartoon
“The graphic, which was in Thursday’s international print edition, showed Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as a guide dog wearing a Star of David on his collar, leading a blind US President Donald Trump, seen wearing a skullcap and Hasidic garb.’” The Times of Israel: READ MORE
KEY ADL SOCIAL STATEMENTS
- ADL recorded 1,879 #antiSemitic incidents in 2018. That’s 1,879 too many.
- Hours before the incident, the alleged gunman may have posted a white supremacist manifesto to the document-sharing site PasteBin…
- The offensive image @nytimes published was #antiSemitic propaganda of the most vile sort…
IN THE COMMUNITY
- Report: Anti-Semitic Incidents Surge in CA Last Year (KUSI-TV, San Diego – Tammy Gillies interviewed)
Anti-Semitic Assaults Up By 55 Percent in New York in 2018, ADL Report Says (WABC-TV, ABC New York – Evan Bernstein interviewed)
ADL: Anti-Semitism Remains High Despite Drop in Incidents (WCVB-TV, ABC Boston – Talia Ben Sasson-Gordis interviewed
ADL IN THE NEWS
- Yom HaShoah Reflections (The Times of Israel – Jonathan Greenblatt Op-Ed)
- With Anti-Semitic Incidents in Schools on the Rise, Teachers Grapple with Holocaust Education (PBS Frontline)
- US White Nationalists Barred by Facebook Find Haven on Russia Site (Voice of America – Marilyn Mayo interviewed)
For more information about Fighting Hate for Good with ADL, visit ADL.org, or subscribe to
- Advocacy Matters > Monthly update about the federal advocacy work of the ADL
- Education Updates > Monthly updates about anti-bias education and curriculum
- International Report > Monthly news and information on key events from around the world
- ADL Latinx > Monthly news and resources in English and Spanish for the Latinx community
- Sentinel > Periodic updates concerning hate; online and on the ground
- Your Region's Newsletter > Regular updates from your local ADL office