June 6, 2019
THE WEEK'S BIG 3
YouTube announces a new effort to remove extremist, white supremacist content from its platform, in what ADL called “an important step forward.” In an attempt to claim ‘prominent’ conservatives were being censored on social media platforms, a Fox News host cited an avowed anti-Semite as an example. Volkswagen is partnering with ADL to fund a new office in Berlin that will research and combat anti-Semitism throughout Europe.
Read on for more on these headlines, news you can use to fight hate, and the latest info about ADL from around the country.
1) YouTube Will Remove More White Supremacist and Hoax Videos, A More Aggressive Stance on Hate Speech
“While YouTube, which has over 1.8 billion daily users, has long prohibited videos that promote violence or hatred against people based on their age, religious beliefs, gender, religion, immigration status, sexual orientation and other protected categories, the new hate speech policy will go further.” The Washington Post: READ MORE
+ “Freedom of speech doesn’t mean freedom to slander…” – Jonathan Greenblatt tweet
“Ingraham displayed a graphic showing images of people she characterized as ‘prominent voices censored on social media.’ The graphic included Paul Nehlen, a white supremacist who unsuccessfully ran for Congress in 2016 and 2018.” CNN: READ MORE
+ “He was kicked off social media for repeatedly spewing anti-Semitism & racism, and for targeting Jewish journalists…” – Jonathan Greenblatt tweet
“Herbert Diess, CEO of Volkswagen Group, said he was concerned about the recent spike in anti-Semitism in Europe, and that Volkswagen had a special obligation to combat racism because of its origins in Nazi Germany.” JTA: READ MORE
KEY ADL SOCIAL STATEMENTS
• Join ADL & the @SRE_mx in our new #DenunciaElOido campaign…
• Thank you to the House for passing the #DreamandPromiseAct!
• Now more than ever we need the leadership of the House’s Bipartisan Taskforce for Combating Anti-Semitism…
IN THE COMMUNITY
• Young Girl Inspires Oregon Legislation to Require Holocaust Study in Schools (Los Angeles Times)
• NYC Hate Crime Prevention Office to Open Months Ahead of Schedule (The Hill)
• ‘I Own This House.’ California Man Shrugs Off Complaints About Swastika in Front Yard (The Sacramento Bee)
ADL IN THE NEWS
• House Homeland Security Chairman Introduces Bill Calling for Annual Domestic Terror Reports (The Hill)
• F.B.I., Pushing to Stop Domestic Terrorists, Grapples with Limits on Its Power (The New York Times)
• House Lawmakers Call Out Trump Administration on White Supremacist Violence (NPR’s Morning Edition – George Selim interviewed)
To get Headlines in your inbox every Thursday, subscribe to this free ADL newsletter today.