Dear ADL Supporter,
In this election, we saw hate move from the fringes and into the mainstream with unprecedented volume and velocity. ADL called out this hate—and often stood alone when doing so.
We welcome the President-elect’s pledge to be a president for all Americans. This is a time to heal the wounds of this political season. At the same time you can count on ADL to be relentless in the fight against anti-Semitism, racism and bigotry and in the defense of civil liberties. In just the past few days, we have seen an uptick in hate crimes directed against Jews and other minorities. It’s a reminder that ADL matters now more than ever.
We cannot ignore the fact that this campaign brought out many of the worst elements of our society. We saw displays of intolerance that frightened many of us, including levels of anti-Semitism on social media that were simply off-the-charts (see our report here).
What’s next? ADL is here for the long haul:
- Our expertise in education will be essential to building bridges across divides laid bare in this election. Just this week, we published a new resource featuring advice for parents, teachers and caregivers on how to discuss issues raised during the campaign with young people.
- Our work with law enforcement will be crucial to help head-off the apparent rise in hate crimes. Just this week, our leadership has responded to such incidents this past week in Wellsville, New York, Philadelphia and Holyoke, Massachusetts.
- Our consistent track record of cutting-edge research into hate groups and our vigilance against anti-Semitism and bigotry will be crucial to drive back the hate that crept into the center of our national political debate. We exposed the “Alt-Right” during the campaign and we will be continue to be relentless in our fight against racists even as they feel emboldened since the election.
- Our political advocacy will be critical to speak out for laws that preserve and strengthen our democracy and protect the interests of minorities and those who do not have a voice.
- Finally, our tireless efforts to advocate for Israel will be ever more necessary to ensure that the US remains a strong and reliable ally for the Jewish state.
We are ready to move forward. ADL matters now more than ever.
|Marvin D. Nathan|