New York, NY, June 5, 2013 … In an ongoing effort to recruit and attract jihadists, Al Qaeda’s Inspire magazine continues to promote anti-Semitic narratives, depicting Jews as being at war with Islam and calling for the destruction of Israel, according to an ADL analysis.
Since the magazine’s inception in 2010, Inspire has repeatedly identified Jews as the enemies of Islam. Each issue, including the most recent edition, has been saturated with threats against Jews, Jewish institutions and the State of Israel. These themes have been at the core of Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula’s attempts to spread anti-Jewish hostility.
“Anti-Semitism fuels the blood lust of Al Qaeda’s Inspire magazine,” said Abraham H. Foxman, ADL National Director. “Since the early days of Osama bin Laden, Al Qaeda has never made a secret of their animus toward Jews, and its current leadership continues to call on its supporters around the world to target Jews and Israelis for acts of terror. Inspire magazine is anti-Semitic through-and-through and their use of incitement against Jews has served as a central tactic in the terrorist organization’s recruitment process.”
Inspire has made direct threats against Jews, including stressing the importance of carrying out terror attacks on specific locations where Jews and Israelis congregate. The terrorist group’s publication has also routinely called for the destruction of Israel.
Some examples include:
- References to “The Jews and Christians” that “have dishonored the Muslims, desecrated our holy places, and cursed the beloved Prophet.” (May 30, 2013)
- “As you kill, you will be killed until you leave our lands and stop supporting Israel.” (May 30, 2013)
- “Look at the Jews and Christians. They work day and night, sacrificing their wealth to serve their null religions.” (February 28, 2013)
- On locations to target: “Places where Jews are gathered, their leading personalities and institutions in Europe…” (May 2, 2012)
- “Allah has made it clear to us in the Qur’an that our worst enemies are the Jews and the polytheists.” (October 11, 2010)
- “It is jihad to liberate all of Palestine from the river to the sea, Allah permitting” (October 11, 2010)
Al Qaeda’s media outlet has also influenced extremists and in the United States and abroad.