Stay in the loop: Get ADL news
March 17, 2022
THE WEEK’S BIG 3
Nearly three weeks into Russia’s invasion, the number of Ukrainians fleeing abroad passed 3 million, the United Nations said. Following an advocacy campaign by national Jewish and pro-Israel organizations, the Sierra Club reversed its recent decision to cancel trips to Israel. Amnesty International is under fire again after an official said that the organization is opposed to Israel continuing to exist as a Jewish state.
Read on for more on these headlines, news you can use to fight hate and the latest info about ADL from around the country.
1) More Than Three Million Refugees Have Fled Fighting in Ukraine, UN says
“Some 3,000,381 people have so far left Ukraine, data from the U.N. Refugee Agency (UNHCR) showed. It is basing its aid plans on 4 million refugees but has said the figure will likely increase. After Sunday's Russian strike on the Yavoriv military base near Lviv, some people from western Ukraine have now joined the refugee flow across the border.” Reuters: LEARN MORE
+ ADL tweet: Outraged and horrified by this latest barbaric action by Russia targeting a site known to harbor civilians. Our prayers are with the people of #Mariupol and those who sought safe haven beneath this destroyed theater.
2) Sierra Club Reverses Course After Canceling Trips to Israel
“Days of dueling statements, social media posts and open letters from interest groups followed the Friday report. While Jewish pro-Israel groups excoriated the decision to cancel, pro-Palestinian and anti-Zionist organizations celebrated it as a major win in their efforts to protest the Jewish state.” The Jewish News of Northern California: FULL STORY
3) Amnesty International Official Says He is ‘Opposed’ to Israel as a Jewish state
“Following Amnesty International’s recent report that accused Israel of ‘apartheid’ in its treatment of Palestinians, the group’s USA director appeared to go a step further on Wednesday, suggesting to a Woman’s National Democratic Club audience that the bulk of American Jews do not want Israel to be a Jewish state, but rather ‘a safe Jewish space’ based on ‘core Jewish values.’” Jewish Insider: READ MORE
+ Jonathan Greenblatt tweet: Thanks but no thanks, @dpaulobrien. We don't need you to jew-splain what our community should think or feel, even as you dismiss thousands of years of history. You & @AmnestyUSA ignore clear evidence of overwhelming support among Jews for #Zionism & the democratic & Jewish state.
KEY ADL SOCIAL STATEMENTS
- #StopHateForProfit demands social media companies remove Russian state media and their amplifiers for violating platform policies. The internet is being used as a weapon to spread disinformation in Russia’s war on Ukraine. We must #RepairTheInternet.
- #OnThisDay in 2019, 51 people were murdered by a white supremacist at the #Christchurch mosque shootings. The horrific crime shocked the world and revealed the influence of online #hate. Today, the fight against hate continues as we honor the lives lost three years ago…
- Importantly, @DHSgov has designated #Afghanistan for #TPS. This grants much-needed temporary relief from deportation for Afghans already in the U.S. While a long-term solution is still necessary, this is wonderful news…
IN THE COMMUNITY
- Experts say community empowerment, legislative action are required to counter far-right extremism (NPR Reno)
- Jewish leaders warn of rise in antisemitic incidents (ABC Seattle – Miri Cypers interviewed)
- Marin swastika incident prompts legislation on hate symbols (Marin Independent Journal)
ADL IN THE NEWS
- The heads of the Oath Keepers and Proud Boys are now both remanded on Jan. 6 charges. So why aren't hate-group experts celebrating? (Insider)
- 28 major US Jewish groups call on Biden to accept Ukraine refugees (JTA)
- We need a coalition of moral courage to oppose Iran’s fascism (The Times of Israel – Jonathan Greenblatt op-ed)