Stay in the loop: Get ADL news
February 19, 2021
THE WEEK’S BIG 3
Authorities in Poland, Russia, Hungary and some lawmakers in Britain’s Labour Party used antisemitism for political means, according to a new ADL report. ADL has positively identified 212 of the estimated 800 individuals who are believed to have breached the U.S. Capitol on January 6, revealing a wide array of domestic extremists were among those who unleashed their fury on legislators and Capitol police, leading to five deaths and scores of injuries. On the heels of the Senate's acquittal of Donald Trump, the NAACP and Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-MS) filed a lawsuit against the former president, Rudy Giuliani and two white supremacist groups, citing their role in the insurrection.
Read on for more on these headlines, news you can use to fight hate and the latest info about ADL from around the country.
1) ADL Calls Out Poland, Hungary, Russia and British Labour Party in Europe Antisemitism Report
“In Poland, presidential candidate Rafal Trzaskowski was the target of ‘antisemitic rhetoric’ this summer during an election in which he lost to the incumbent Andrzej Duda of the right-wing Law and Justice party, ADL wrote.” JTA: FULL STORY
+ ADL Resource: Choosing Antisemitism -- Instrumentalization and Tolerance of Antisemitism in Contemporary European Politics.
+ WATCH: ADL report shows how #antisemitism is used as a political tool in Europe, harming Jewish communities…
2) Extremists Face Arrests, Uncertain Future Following January 6 Insurrection
“Of the 212 individuals identified by ADL’s Center on Extremism, 52 (or 25 percent) have ties to known right-wing extremist groups, including Oath Keepers (six people), Proud Boys (17), Groypers and other white supremacists (10) and the QAnon conspiracy theory (14).” ADL: READ MORE
+ WATCH: Some of his followers are being sought by the FBI. It's not stopping the leader of the Oath Keepers. – CNN (Alex Friedfeld interviewed)
3) NAACP Sues Trump and Giuliani After Jan. 6 Riots
“The lawsuit, filed Tuesday morning in Federal District Court for the District of Columbia, alleges that Trump and Giuliani, in collaboration with the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers, conspired to incite the riot to keep Congress from certifying the results of the 2020 presidential election. It claims they did so in violation of the Ku Klux Klan Act, a Reconstruction-era statute designed to protect both formerly enslaved African Americans and lawmakers in Congress from white supremacist violence.” POLITICO: LEARN MORE
+ Jonathan Greenblatt tweet: “Thankful for this lawsuit being brought forward by the @NAACP and @BennieGThompson. What took place on January 6th was an attack on our nation and democracy and those responsible must be held accountable.”
+ ADL Resource: Threats, Calls for Violence Targeting Elected Officials
KEY ADL SOCIAL STATEMENTS
- The disturbing displays of hate and violence in this video must stop. Attacks and harassment toward the Asian American community continue to surge and it is on all of us to speak up and combat this escalation of hate…
- For years @ADL has pointed to the threat of domestic terrorism as one of the most dangerous and lethal threats facing our nation. Reassuring to hear that this administration recognizes this fact as well…
- Once again, @ChelseaFC proves their leadership in the fight against #antisemitism, launching their new "Say No to Antisemitism" website…
IN THE COMMUNITY
- Florida must add gender to outdated hate-crime law (Orlando Sentinel – David Barkey op-ed)
- A ‘growing propensity for violence’: Using photos from US Capitol insurrection, Boston’s Anti-Defamation League identified New England extremists, but it wasn’t easy (Masslive.com)
- Zoombombing Disrupts Shabbat (Atlanta Jewish Times)