Stay in the loop: Get ADL news
March 25, 2021
THE WEEK’S BIG 3
Asian Americans reported the single biggest increase in serious incidents of online hate and harassment as racist and xenophobic slurs blaming people of Asian descent for the coronavirus pandemic spread over the past year, according to a new survey from ADL. ADL is asking for an independent investigation into a Massachusetts high school football team that used Holocaust-related language including “Auschwitz” and Jewish words in its on-field play calling during a recent game. A London man has been arrested in connection with the March 18 attack on a pregnant Jewish woman.
Read on for more on these headlines, news you can use to fight hate and the latest info about ADL from around the country.
1) Asian Americans Report Biggest Increase in Serious Incidents of Online Hate and Harassment During COVID Pandemic
“Half said the harassment was spurred by their race or ethnicity, according to the survey from anti-hate group ADL. Overall, 21% of Asian-American respondents said they were harassed online.” USA Today: FULL STORY
2) ADL Seeks Investigation into Massachusetts High School Football Team for Use of Holocaust-related Terms on Field
“ADL’s Robert Trestan said in an interview with the Globe that Duxbury school superintendent John Antonucci told him Duxbury football players called audibles — last-second calls at the line of scrimmage — in a recent game by using terms such as ‘Auschwitz,’ ‘rabbi,’ and ‘dreidel.’ Boston Globe: LEARN MORE
+ ADL New England tweet: A full scale independent investigation is needed. "It’s deeply hurtful to the Jewish community to learn that the plays somehow connect to the Holocaust & Judaism. There are indications of a systemic failure both on and off the field."
“The suspect is reportedly in his late 50s; the police have yet to establish a motive. Rabbi Herschel Gluck, president of the Shomrim neighborhood watch, told The Guardian that the victim was ‘deeply traumatized’ by the assault. Shomrim has also said that the attack was one of five attacks against Jewish women in the area in March.” Jewish Journal: READ MORE
+ MORE NEWS: Swiss agency says antisemitic COVID conspiracy theories on the rise – The Jerusalem Post
KEY ADL SOCIAL STATEMENTS
- A truly grotesque display of hate from the Brazilian Labor Party Leader Roberto Jefferson, accusing Jews of sacrificing children…
- Singling out a Black student to kneel to apologize is not acceptable. We echo his mother’s demands for accountability & racial sensitivity courses…
- This week marked three years since 85-year-old #Holocaust survivor Mireille Knoll was stabbed and burnt to death in her apartment in Paris for being Jewish…
IN THE COMMUNITY
- Columbus man charged with hate crime for anti-Semitic threats (Cleveland Jewish News)
- New Jersey newspaper fires journalist after anti-Jewish, misogynistic caption (JNS.org)
- Suburban radicals: Inside the resurgence of right-wing extremism in Orange County (Los Angeles Times)
ADL IN THE NEWS
- When Is Racial Harassment Considered A Hate Crime? (NPR’s 1A – Allison Padilla-Goodman interviewed)
- Neo-Nazi Street Fighting Gang Continues Bragging About Attending Jan. 6 (Vice News)
- Why won’t Twitter ban Khamenei when it permanently suspended Trump? (Arab News)