September 02, 2021
THE WEEK’S BIG 3
The number of hate crimes in the United States rose to the highest level in 12 years, propelled by increasing assaults targeting Black and Asian victims, the FBI reported Monday. White supremacist and anti-government extremists have expressed admiration for the Taliban, a worrying development for US officials grappling with the threat of domestic violent extremism. More than 70 State Department officials sent a letter to the U.S. Secretary of State calling for the removal of “an openly antisemitic department employee who continues to have a home in our midst.”
Read on for more on these headlines, news you can use to fight hate and the latest info about ADL from around the country.
- Hate Crimes Rise to Highest Level in 12 Years
“In all, the federal agency tallied 7,759 hate crimes last year, a tumultuous 12 months marked by a global pandemic, a divisive presidential election and upheaval in the economy. The total represented an increase of six percent from 2019 and the most since 2008, when 7,783 hate crimes were reported.” The Washington Post: FULL STORY
+ READ: ADL Deeply Alarmed by 2020 FBI Hate Crimes Data; Reiterates Calls for Increased Reporting
+ WATCH: ADL’s David Goldenberg on FOX Chicago
- White Supremacist Praise of the Taliban Takeover Concerns US Officials
“Neo-Nazi and violent accelerationists -- who hope to provoke what they see as an inevitable race war, which would lead to a Whites-only state -- in North America and Europe are praising the Taliban for its anti-Semitism, homophobia, and severe restrictions on women's freedom.” CNN: READ MORE
+ READ from ADL’s Center on Extremism: Afghan Refugees -- Right-Wing Extremists Decry Aid, Fret About Demographic “Replacement”
+ MORE: Amid Chaos, Islamist Extremists Celebrate Taliban’s Success in Afghanistan
- More Than 70 State Department Officials Sound Alarm Over Employment of “Antisemitic Blogger”
“Fritz Berggren, a U.S. foreign service officer, maintains a website, bloodandfaith.com, where he writes online posts and publishes video and audio files assailing Jews, the LGBTQ community, and calling for the creation of Christian nation-states.” Foreign Policy: LEARN MORE
+ ADL tweet: Deeply disturbing reports this individual is using an official post to try to legitimize his outrageous antisemitism & other bigotry. We expect the @StateDept to be doing its utmost to ensure he faces urgent and full consequences.
+ RESOURCE: ADL’s PROTECT Plan
KEY ADL SOCIAL STATEMENTS
- There is no right more fundamental to a democracy than the right to vote. Texas’ latest assault on that right is inexcusable and unacceptable…
- Twitch “hate raids” targeting LGBTQ+, Black, and Jewish streamers are a harrowing symbol of today’s reality. It’s imperative that tech companies take responsibility for the hateful content disseminated using their platforms…
- Fleeing your home in fear is unfortunately a pain Jews throughout history have known all too well. Moving story from pilot Alexander Kahn, who flew Afghan refugees to US, and saw in them the same experience his father had as a Holocaust survivor…
IN THE COMMUNITY
- Record number of hate crimes reported to Colorado law enforcement in 2020 (Denver Post)
- Washington state had fifth-most hate crimes per capita in 2020, a new FBI report says (ABC Seattle)
- The Curious Case of Roxborough’s Nazi Flag (Philadelphia Magazine)
ADL IN THE NEWS
- Anti-Bias Education and the Importance of Teaching About Systemic Oppression (EducationWeek – Jinnie Spiegler op-ed)
- Director Spike Lee Re-Edits 9/11 Docuseries After Facing Backlash for Including Interview With Antisemitic Conspiracy Theorist (Algemeiner)
- Jordan has a public antisemitism problem. Why isn’t the U.S. holding them accountable? (Forward – Sharon Nazarian and Arnold Roth joint op-ed)
For more information about Fighting Hate for Good with ADL, subscribe to Headlines and our other free email newsletters:
Headlines > The latest news stories from across the country and around the globe in the fight against antisemitism, extremism and hate.
Center on Extremism Monthly > News, trends and a look at the work ADL's Center on Extremism (COE) experts do every day.
My Region's Newsletter > ADL in your community, fighting antisemitism, extremism and hate of all kinds — and ways you can get more involved.
Fighting Hate Online > News, trends and legislation to fight online hate and harassment from ADL‘s Center for Technology and Society.
Education Update > Anti-bias curricula, lesson plans and resources to help promote equity in schools and communities.
Advocacy Matters > ADL’s vital policy work in Washington and around the country, and actions you can take to counter hate and extremism.
International Report > Our work around the world fighting antisemitism and other forms of hate, and what you can do to get more involved.
ADL Latinx > Issues of interest to the Latinx community and resources in both English and Spanish.