December 09, 2021
THE WEEK’S BIG 3
American college campuses experienced anti-Israel activity and inflammatory rhetoric at the “highest rate in recent memory” during and after Israel’s May conflict with Hamas, according to a new report by ADL. Despite taking steps to remove hateful content, hundreds of posts promoting dangerous white supremacist ideologies are still readily available on Instagram where they could radicalize unsuspecting users, new research shows. On Saturday, more than 100 members of the white nationalist group Patriot Front marched through downtown Washington, D.C., in a demonstration meant to share their plan to “reclaim America.”
Read on for more on these headlines, news you can use to fight hate and the latest info about ADL from around the country.
- Israel-Hamas War Fueled Unprecedented Levels of Anti-Israel Activity on College Campuses per ADL Report
“Released Tuesday as part of the ADL Center on Extremism’s efforts to track antisemitism in higher education, the report said extreme anti-Israel activism had an outsized effect on Jewish students during the 2020-2021 academic year — and often ‘crossed the line’ from legitimate criticism of Israeli policies into “blatant expressions of antisemitism from certain groups and activists.” Algemeiner: LEARN MORE
+ Jonathan Greenblatt tweet: Outrageous that Zionist students are being disparaged as inherently bigoted. All students have a right to express their views about Israel, critical or not, but antisemitism disguised as Israel criticism is unacceptable.
Instagram Still has a Big Problem with Neo-Nazis and White Supremacists
“The Anti-Defamation League's Center on Extremism searched for terms on Instagram related to white supremacist and neo-Nazi movements, quickly uncovering hundreds of accounts sharing extremist propaganda.” USA Today: FULL STORY+ WATCH: ADL CEO Jonathan Greenblatt on CNBC’s Squawk Box discussing what can be done to better regulate Big Tech
White Nationalists Hold Impromptu Rally in Nation’s Capitol
“Despite being granted police escorts for its rally Saturday, the group seemed to come prepared for violence. A number of the members wore knee pads and brought shields with them. It was a scene reminiscent of a Ku Klux Klan rally. Video posted to Twitter on Saturday showed participants walking from the Lincoln Memorial toward the U.S. Capitol wearing matching outfits of khaki pants, dark blue jackets, baseball hats, sunglasses and gaiter masks covering their mouths and noses.” NBC News: READ MORE+ What is Patriot Front?
KEY ADL SOCIAL STATEMENTS
- @CAIRNational must condemn their staffer @ZahraBilloo for this awful, unapologetic bigotry. And any org that claims to fight for social justice should cut ties with anyone who spouts such hate…
- Thank you @MikeBloomberg for your unequivocal condemnation of #antisemitism. At a time when anti-Jewish incidents are on the rise, it is incumbent upon public figures on all sides to call out hate regardless of the source…
- We applaud the Dept of Justice for filing a lawsuit today challenging Texas’ racially discriminatory redistricting plans. Protecting the right to vote for all requires urgent action…
IN THE COMMUNITY
- Antisemitic flyers discovered in uptown Denver (ABC Denver – Scott Levin interviewed)
- CUNY Law Student Gov’t Passes Pro-BDS Resolution Targeting Groups Like Hillel (Jewish Journal)
- Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker signs genocide education bill into law, as Hanukkah puts the spotlight on rising antisemitism (MassLive)
ADL IN THE NEWS
- A white supremacist march in D.C. was pushed by a fake Twitter account, experts say (The Washington Post)
- ADL has 4 suggestions for Twitter’s new CEO on fighting antisemitism and hate speech (Forward – Jonathan Greenblatt op-ed)
For more information about Fighting Hate for Good with ADL, subscribe to Headlines and our other free email newsletters:
Headlines > The latest news stories from across the country and around the globe in the fight against antisemitism, extremism and hate.
Center on Extremism Monthly > News, trends and a look at the work ADL's Center on Extremism (COE) experts do every day.
My Region's Newsletter > ADL in your community, fighting antisemitism, extremism and hate of all kinds — and ways you can get more involved.
Fighting Hate Online > News, trends and legislation to fight online hate and harassment from ADL‘s Center for Technology and Society.
Education Update > Anti-bias curricula, lesson plans and resources to help promote equity in schools and communities.
Advocacy Matters > ADL’s vital policy work in Washington and around the country, and actions you can take to counter hate and extremism.
International Report > Our work around the world fighting antisemitism and other forms of hate, and what you can do to get more involved.
ADL Latinx > Issues of interest to the Latinx community and resources in both English and Spanish.