November 04, 2021
THE WEEK’S BIG 3
A fraternity house at George Washington University was vandalized over the weekend, including desecration of a Torah scroll. A day after a fire was set outside a Jewish synagogue in Central Austin, more than two dozen faith leaders and clergy members from across Austin were joined by community leaders at a rally as they called for unity following a recent spate of antisemitic incidents against across the city. Fox News personality Tucker Carlson released a so-called “documentary” that dubiously claims the Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol was a false-flag operation.
Read on for more on these headlines, news you can use to fight hate and the latest info about ADL from around the country.
- Police Investigating Desecration of Torah Scroll at George Washington University Fraternity
“Chapter President Chris Osborne told CNN by phone the house was broken into while members were away and the damage was discovered early Sunday morning. ‘There was laundry detergent dumped on religious texts, specifically a Jewish Torah,’ he said.” CNN: READ MORE
+ ADL Washington, D.C. tweet: Very disturbed to learn about this hateful incident that took place overnight at the TKE fraternity house on GWU’s campus. We’ve spoken with students & reached out to campus PD. We expect a full & rapid investigation.
Fire Set at Austin Synagogue Following Spate of Antisemitic Incidents““Authorities said they had obtained security video and that they are looking into tips about the fire, which arson investigators think was intentional. No suspects have been identified.” Austin American-Statesman: FULL STORY
+ ADL Resource: H.E.A.T. Map
+ ADL Austin tweet: Today, like every day, we stood up to hate and antisemitism in Austin next to community partners, elected officials, and religious leaders. Together, we will continue to ensure that Austin is #NoPlaceForHate
Tucker Carlson Premieres “Documentary” Pushing Conspiracy Theories About Jan. 6 Insurrection
“The opening episode of the three-part series called ‘Patriot Purge’ became available for viewing Monday, despite pushback from the Anti-Defamation League and reporting from Fox News’ Washington bureau that disputes the entire premise of Carlson’s program.” Los Angeles Times: READ MORE
+ READ: ADL Letter to Fox News Urging Network to Remove Program
KEY ADL SOCIAL STATEMENTS
- Very excited to have @VP Harris join us at @ADL’s upcoming #NeverIsNow Summit. With hate and antisemitism on the rise, leadership is essential and we are grateful for the Vice President’s…
- Once again, @deborahlipstadt stood up to Nazism and hate in court. Telling the jury in the Unite the Right trial, as a Holocaust historian, “very few things surprise me, but I was taken aback,” when discussing the level of antisemitism among organizers…
- The obstruction of the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act in the Senate is an affront to democracy. Protecting the right to vote should never be a partisan issue. The Senate needs to pass this crucial legislation immediately. #RestoreTheVRA…
IN THE COMMUNITY
- $10,000 reward offered for information on attack on pregnant Jewish woman in Crown Heights (News12 Brooklyn – Scott Richman interviewed)
- Opinion: San Diego Unified Condemns Antisemitism, But the Fight Against Hate Continues (Times of San Diego – Tammy Gillies op-ed)
- Linden Middle School disciplines students who made Nazi salute (ABC Flint, MI – Carolyn Normandin interviewed)
ADL IN THE NEWS
Old antisemitic tropes found new life in Phoenix (Forward – Jonathan Greenblatt op-ed)
- For Holocaust Scholar, Another Confrontation With Neo-Nazi Hate (The New York Times)
- From the ADL and Hillel: We All Must Play a Role in Addressing Campus Antisemitism (Algemeiner – Max Sevillia joint op-ed)
For more information about Fighting Hate for Good with ADL, subscribe to Headlines and our other free email newsletters:
Headlines > The latest news stories from across the country and around the globe in the fight against antisemitism, extremism and hate.
Center on Extremism Monthly > News, trends and a look at the work ADL's Center on Extremism (COE) experts do every day.
My Region's Newsletter > ADL in your community, fighting antisemitism, extremism and hate of all kinds — and ways you can get more involved.
Fighting Hate Online > News, trends and legislation to fight online hate and harassment from ADL‘s Center for Technology and Society.
Education Update > Anti-bias curricula, lesson plans and resources to help promote equity in schools and communities.
Advocacy Matters > ADL’s vital policy work in Washington and around the country, and actions you can take to counter hate and extremism.
International Report > Our work around the world fighting antisemitism and other forms of hate, and what you can do to get more involved.
ADL Latinx > Issues of interest to the Latinx community and resources in both English and Spanish.