© 2020 Ricardo Levins Morales
Table Talk: Family Conversations about Current EventsFor Educators | For Parents, Families, and Caregivers
Download Complete Draw Me Safe Table Talk
The global coronavirus pandemic has impacted every aspect of our lives. For educators, parents, families members and others who work with children, it can be challenging to talk with young people about what it means to stay safe, healthy and be physically distant from one other.
From Ricardo Levins Morales' “What to Do in a Pandemic… Our Cousins Know” series, use these coloring pages to be creative, pass the time, relieve stress and engage in family conversations about how to stay safe and well. As you talk with children about this topic, ask open-ended questions that deepen the conversation, be mindful not to judge their responses, listen actively and be alert for signs of distress.
About the Artist
Ricardo Morales is an artist who describes himself as a “healer and trickster organizer disguised as an artist.” He was born in Puerto Rico and moved to Chicago with his family in 1967.
Below are just a few of the drawings and suggested open-ended questions. Download the PDF for the complete Table Talk of all the drawings.
- Why is it important to wash frequently?
- Have your washing habits changed during this pandemic? How so?
- How can we let others know how important it is to wash frequently?
- What does it mean to be vulnerable?
- Who are the most vulnerable people during this crisis?
- How can we support people who are the most vulnerable and marginalized?
- How does limiting exposure help to keep us safe, strong and healthy?
- What’s difficult about limiting exposure?
- What are some ways we can connect with people if we can’t be physically close to them?
Virtual Classroom Option
Click here for the student-facing version of this activity using the Sutori platform, a collaborative instruction and presentation tool for the classroom. Use the "share" feature for each activity to easily add to your Google classroom or other online platform.