ADL condemns in the strongest terms Russia's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine and aggression towards the Ukrainian people, a blatant violation of international law. This unnecessary war, which has its roots in the years-long military actions instigated by Russian President Vladimir Putin, has already caused thousands of deaths, is unleashing untold misery on the civilian population, and threatens the independence of Ukraine, a sovereign country and a fellow democracy.
The ramifications of Russia’s aggression ripple far beyond Ukraine’s borders: they pose a threat to democracy everywhere.
ADL is monitoring this situation closely, including the impact on the Jewish community and its institutions, and is in contact with partners providing aid on the ground and to the refugees fleeing this war.
Things you can do today to support Ukraine:
1. Donate to organizations doing critical work to meet the urgent humanitarian need of those on the ground, and the hundreds of thousands of refugees fleeing Ukraine. DONATE NOW
2. Advocate for Ukrainian Refugees. We are at a critical moment for refugees and asylum seekers, especially in light of the enormous and acute humanitarian crisis unfolding as over a million people flee Ukraine, adding to the more than 84 million people worldwide who have fled their homes due to persecution and violence.
Take action by urging the Biden Administration to protect refugees fleeing Ukraine and keep Ukrainian families together: CLICK HERE
3. Ukraine is a proud democracy and home to up to a 400,000 strong Jewish community. Learn more about Ukraine, its Jewish community, and this current crisis from sources including: The Atlantic; The New Yorker; JTA; , Alma, and Unpacked .
4. Report misinformation/disinformation on social media. Disinformation is being propagated across many platforms. Most social media and gaming companies rely primarily on reporting to alert them to misinformation and disinformation. Use ADL’s Cyber-Safety Action Guide to report misinformation and disinformation about the Ukraine crisis.
(Never amplify misinformation/disinformation by replying or reposting. This teaches the algorithms to promote the post).
ADL Blogs and Reports:
For additional ADL statements on the Ukraine crisis see us on Twitter, @ADL.
Discussion with Expert Analysis:
- Soviet Refusenik Natan Sharansky in conversation with Sharon Nazarian on Ukraine and what it means for Europe and the world.
- Vlad Davidzon, Chief Editor of the Odessa Review and a Non-Resident Fellow at the Atlantic Council, discusses the current situation on the ground in Ukraine.
- Rachel Levitan, HIAS’s VP for International Policy and Relations, reports on the situation confronting refugees and displaced people fleeing the violence.