THE WEEK’S BIG 3
ADL and Hillel International announced they are working together to play a stronger role in fighting antisemitism on campus. Antisemitic content is proving to be a persistent problem across social media as major platforms fail to protect Jewish targets, according to a new report that gives Facebook and many others low grades. ADL criticized remarks from US Representative Rashida Tlaib (D-MI) as a problematic “dog whistle” when she alleged that unspecified individuals were profiting by opposing both the Palestinian cause and domestic US policies like health care reform.
Read on for more on these headlines, news you can use to fight hate and the latest info about ADL from around the country.
- ADL and Hillel to Work Together to Document Antisemitism on Campus
“Hillel and the ADL will together create a college-level curriculum on antisemitism and jointly document antisemitic incidents on campuses in the United States. But not every student government resolution endorsing the movement to Boycott, Divest from and Sanction Israel, known as BDS, will wind up in the groups’ database.” JTA: FULL STORY
+ READ: ADL and Hillel International Join Forces To Address Antisemitism on Campus Through Education and Engagement
+ Jonathan Greenblatt tweet: Campus #antisemitism remains a serious problem, with 244 incidents reported this past academic year. @ADL’s new initiatives with @HillelIntl will educate and engage the full campus community to help protect Jewish students.
- Social Media Platforms are Failing to Monitor Antisemitism, Reports Say
“ADL reported between three and 11 pieces of content on each of the same platforms, as well as on Reddit, Twitch and the gaming platform Roblox. It gave each platform a grade, such as a C- for Facebook and TikTok and a D for Roblox, based on how quickly the companies responded and removed the posts. The highest-rated platform, Twitter, received a B-.” The New York Times: READ MORE
+ ADL Report: 2021 Online Antisemitism Report Card
+ Jonathan Greenblatt tweet: Despite claims to be improving their policies. #antisemitic content remains easily found and distributed across major tech platforms. @ADL's latest report hands out grades to social platforms on how effective they have been in fighting this hate.
- ADL Condemns ‘Behind the Curtain’ Comments from US Rep. Tlaib as ‘Dog Whistle’
“On Tuesday, Anti-Defamation League CEO Jonathan Greenblatt criticized as a 'dog whistle' remarks from US Representative Rashida Tlaib (D-MI) alleging that unspecified individuals were profiting by opposing both the Palestinian cause and domestic US policies like health care reform.” Algemeiner: LEARN MORE
+ Jonathan Greenblatt tweet: Stunning to hear @RashidaTlaib claim "behind the curtain,” those who prevent a “free Palestine” are the “same people” who exploit regular Americans.
KEY ADL SOCIAL STATEMENTS
- Deeply upsetting to learn a third police officer who responded to the January 6th insurrection has taken their life. MPD Officer Gunther Hashida was a hero who risked his life for our country and we will always be thankful for his sacrifice…
- Two years later, we remember those killed by someone radicalized online by anti-Latino and anti-immigrant hate. His radicalization did not happen in vacuum, but amid an online community that fostered extremism. We must #ProtectAgainstHate…
- Having an ID that matches your gender identity is a matter of physical & emotional safety. Alabama’s extreme requirements for changing IDs are discriminatory, dangerous & unconstitutional. We’re proud to have joined NWLC’s amicus brief opposing these requirements…
IN THE COMMUNITY
- Arrested Los Gatos man’s ‘manifesto’ reveals disturbing scenarios (The Jewish News of Northern California)
- ADL Florida Regional Office has new director (South Florida Sun Sentinel)
- 2 years after Walmart mass shooting, El Paso leaders see inaction and betrayal by Texas officials (El Paso Matters)
ADL IN THE NEWS
- Brazil’s welcome to granddaughter of Hitler’s finance minister draws Jewish ire (The Times of Israel)
- Despite promises, Facebook is still not removing antisemitic and Islamophobic hate speech (The American Independent)
- Prosecution Urged of Far Right Propagandist in Slovenia For ‘Hero Hitler’ Tweet (Algemeiner)
For more information about Fighting Hate for Good with ADL, subscribe to Headlines and our other free email newsletters:
Headlines > The latest news stories from across the country and around the globe in the fight against antisemitism, extremism and hate.
Center on Extremism Monthly > News, trends and a look at the work ADL's Center on Extremism (COE) experts do every day.
My Region's Newsletter > ADL in your community, fighting antisemitism, extremism and hate of all kinds — and ways you can get more involved.
Fighting Hate Online > News, trends and legislation to fight online hate and harassment from ADL‘s Center for Technology and Society.
Education Update > Anti-bias curricula, lesson plans and resources to help promote equity in schools and communities.
Advocacy Matters > ADL’s vital policy work in Washington and around the country, and actions you can take to counter hate and extremism.
International Report > Our work around the world fighting antisemitism and other forms of hate, and what you can do to get more involved.
ADL Latinx > Issues of interest to the Latinx community and resources in both English and Spanish.