ADL Center for Antisemitism Research (CAR) builds upon ADL’s century-plus years of antisemitism expertise through an applied research network, innovative initiatives and signature projects to evaluate and identify what makes a difference in the fight against this hatred.
With pioneering approaches and a peer-review process, CAR ensures its studies are rigorous and accurate, upholding academic best practices with accessible analysis. CAR aims to diagnose the causes of antisemitism and apply what we learn through practical on-the-ground efforts – by ADL and our communal partners – to decrease antisemitism in communities in the U.S. and around the world.
The CAR Approach to Antisemitism Research
CAR looks to answer both longstanding and new questions about how to quantify, understand, reduce and prevent antisemitism.
What prevents and reduces antisemitism?
- Developing and testing ways to challenge antisemitism for ideological, interpersonal, institutional and internalized manifestations
- Tracking and assessing the impact of these tactics
What causes antisemitism?
- Testing the theories
- Understanding the perpetrators
- Following the progression of attitudes to actions
How does antisemitism spread?
- Investigating the cultural formations of antisemitism
- Quantifying the impact of antisemitism on Jewish communities and society
- Understanding the differences and overlap of antisemitism among different groups and ideologies
CAR’s Applied Research Network
We catalyze and conduct scholarly investigation into key areas on antisemitism by sponsoring fellowships and grants, conducting ADL’s own empirical research and organizing speaker series and publications. We have partnerships with nearly a dozen research institutes and universities across the globe.
Antisemitic Attitudes in America: Topline Findings
In our topline findings, data shows widespread belief in antisemitic conspiracy theories and tropes nearly doubled since 2019 and the highest levels in 30 years.
This work is made possible in part by the generous support of
- The Crimson Lion/Lavine Family Foundation
- ADL Lewy Family Institute for Combating Antisemitism
- Diane and Guilford Glazer Foundation
- Erwin Rautenberg Foundation
- Rosalinde and Arthur Gilbert Foundation
ADL gratefully acknowledges all of the individual, corporate and foundation supporters who make our work possible.