THE WEEK’S BIG 3
Following the Taliban’s ascent to power once again in Afghanistan, ADL called on Twitter, and other major social media platforms, to take immediate action to remove accounts affiliated with the organization given its long history of terrorist activity, violence and discrimination toward girls and women, assassinating journalists and persecuting religious and ethnic minorities. Four young men have been arrested for the fatal shooting of a Jewish student in Denver at the end of a violent crime spree. Mike Richards, who was named the new host of “Jeopardy!” last week, is leaving the role as the beloved game show confronts a roiling controversy over offensive and sexist comments he previously made on a podcast.
Read on for more on these headlines, news you can use to fight hate and the latest info about ADL from around the country.
- ADL Calls on Twitter and Other Platforms to Remove Taliban and Taliban-Affiliated Accounts
“In accounts swelling across Facebook, Twitter and Instagram — and in group chats on apps such as WhatsApp and Telegram — the messaging from Taliban supporters typically challenges the West’s dominant image of the group as intolerant, vicious and bent on revenge, while staying within the evolving boundaries of taste and content that tech companies use to police user behavior.” The Washington Post: FULL STORY
+ READ: ADL Statement Calling on Social Media Platforms to Take Action Against Taliban Accounts
+ WATCH: ADL CEO Jonathan Greenblatt on CNBC’s Squawk Box
- Yeshiva Student Fatally Shot in Denver
“The victim, Shmuel Silverberg, 18, was an Orthodox Jew who was killed outside Yeshiva Toras Chaim, the religious school where he was studying. But police say that after arresting and interviewing four of the young men suspected of murdering him, it doesn’t appear that he was killed because he was Jewish.” JTA: READ MORE
+ ADL Mountain States: We are heartbroken over the fatal shooting of yeshiva student Shmuli Silverberg
+ ADL tweet: We commend the efforts of the Denver Police and their swift action in response to this murder. We send condolences to the friends, family and Yeshiva Toras Chaim community
- New ‘Jeopardy!’ Host, Mike Richards, Quits After Past Disparaging Remarks Revealed
“A report in The Ringer this week unearthed past offensive, sexist, and antisemitic comments made by Mr. Richards on a podcast that led to denunciations from critics including the Anti-Defamation League.” The New York Times: LEARN MORE
+ ADL tweet: Stereotyping is an entry point to hate and his apology lacks acknowledgment of its harm. This reported pattern warrants an investigation.
KEY ADL SOCIAL STATEMENTS
- Spreading misinformation on black crime is harmful & hateful, especially when elevating white supremacist ideologues & memes. @LarryElder must apologize for lifting up white supremacist Jared Taylor and 13-50/13-90 myths…
- 30 years ago, one of the most devastating and traumatic #antisemitic riots in US history took place in Crown Heights. Today, we honor the memory of the riots by observing a Crown Heights community that is vibrant, diverse and united…
- "In this critical moment we must listen to the voices of Afghan women and girls. They are asking for protection, for education, for the freedom and the future they were promised." Thank you for this important call to action, @Malala.
IN THE COMMUNITY
- 2 Former Torrance Police Officers Charged After Allegedly Painting Swastika On Back Of Impounded Vehicle (CBS Los Angeles)
- Meyers Leonard on work put in with Jewish community: ‘I’m committed to being an ally’ (Miami Herald)
- Newport-Mesa School District Officials Renew Amended ADL Anti-Bias Training Contract (Voice of OC)
ADL IN THE NEWS
- Torres calls for review of nonprofit status of extremist groups (Jewish Insider)
- Jewish Groups Sound Alarm on Afghanistan, Warn of Taliban’s Misogyny, Disregard for Human Rights (Algemeiner)
- Roblox is struggling to moderate re-creations of mass shootings (The Verge)
For more information about Fighting Hate for Good with ADL, subscribe to Headlines and our other free email newsletters:
Headlines > The latest news stories from across the country and around the globe in the fight against antisemitism, extremism and hate.
Center on Extremism Monthly > News, trends and a look at the work ADL's Center on Extremism (COE) experts do every day.
My Region's Newsletter > ADL in your community, fighting antisemitism, extremism and hate of all kinds — and ways you can get more involved.
Fighting Hate Online > News, trends and legislation to fight online hate and harassment from ADL‘s Center for Technology and Society.
Education Update > Anti-bias curricula, lesson plans and resources to help promote equity in schools and communities.
Advocacy Matters > ADL’s vital policy work in Washington and around the country, and actions you can take to counter hate and extremism.
International Report > Our work around the world fighting antisemitism and other forms of hate, and what you can do to get more involved.
ADL Latinx > Issues of interest to the Latinx community and resources in both English and Spanish.