THE WEEK’S BIG 3
A new website where Jewish students can report antisemitism on college campuses and receive immediate support from security professionals and law enforcement launched. A new report from ADL details the decades-long efforts from an extremist group to make county sheriffs an absolute authority, with the ability to implement their own political agendas. A federal jury in Seattle convicted the purported leader of the violent neo-Nazi group Atomwaffen Division for conspiring to threaten Jews, Black people and journalists in Washington and two other states.
Read on for more on these headlines, news you can use to fight hate and the latest info about ADL from around the country.
- Leading Jewish Groups Launch Portal for Students to Report Antisemitism Online
“[Hillel] cited a recent poll showing that 74 percent of Jewish college students who personally experienced an act of antisemitism did not report it, and that only three percent had reported it to local or campus police. Another 41 percent of students said they did not know how to report an incident at all.” Algemeiner:
+ ADL Press Release: New Online Portal ReportCampusHate.org Enables College Students to Report and Address Antisemitism on Campus
+ ADL Resource: Confronting Antisemitism and Hate on Campus
- Extremist Sheriffs Infiltrate a Number of Law Enforcement Agencies
“The ADL has identified dozens of sheriffs, as well as some police officers and elected officials, who associate themselves with the CSPOA. The report also details the growth of CSPOA’s perceived legitimacy in 2021, with local governments approving the group’s problematic training programs for official use and county governments joining CSPOA as members.” MEL Magazine:
+ READ from ADL’s Center on Extremism: The Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association (CSPOA) and Richard Mack -- How Extremists Are Successfully Infiltrating Law Enforcement
+ Jonathan Greenblatt tweet: Alarming to see anti-government extremists making inroads into law enforcement by holding events billed as “trainings” for leos and even securing formal state approval allowing attendees to receive continuing education credits for such events.
- Jury Convicted Purported Leader of Neo-Nazi Group of 5 Federal Felonies for Conspiracy and Threats
“Cole and three other purported members of Atomwaffen — German for ‘atomic weapon’ — were charged by federal prosecutors last year for allegedly mounting a campaign of fear and intimidation against at least one Seattle television journalist and two local activists with the Anti-Defamation League, as well as activists and journalists in Florida and Arizona.” Seattle Times:
+ WATCH: Couple targeted by accused Washington neo-Nazi leader speaks out – NBC Seattle
+ ADL Resource: Atomwaffen Division (AWD)/ National Socialist Order (NSO)
KEY ADL SOCIAL STATEMENTS
- Haugen’s testimony confirms that to Facebook, we are the product not the consumer. They’ll do anything to keep us on the platform as long as possible—even if it means amplifying incitement, hate and racism. #REPAIRtheInternet #StopHateForProfit…
- Powerful words from @SecBlinken about the horrors of the Holocaust perpetrated at Babyn Yar, the desire by Soviet officials to gloss over Jewish suffering there, and the importance of fighting to ensure these lessons of history are not forgotten…
- The Admin must act on departing official Harold Koh’s words on the use of Title 42 as a public health pretext to return people “who fear persecution, death, or torture, especially migrants fleeing from Haiti…lawful, more humane alternatives plainly exist.”
IN THE COMMUNITY
- Anti-Defamation League joins chorus of critics calling out Arkansas lawmaker for Holocaust comparison (Arkansas Times)
- Hubert Middle School takes part in the Anti-Defamation League’s No Place for Hate initiative (NBC Savannah, GA)
- University Heights girl target of antisemitic rhetoric, beer bottle (Cleveland Jewish News)
ADL IN THE NEWS
- Lurid Antisemitic Propaganda Spotted on Sale at Saudi Flagship Book Fair in Riyadh (Algemeiner)
- Kamala Harris ‘strongly disagrees’ with student who said Israel was carrying out ethnic genocide (JTA)
- Pittsburgh to host inaugural anti-hate conference three years after massacre at Tree of Life (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)
For more information about Fighting Hate for Good with ADL, subscribe to Headlines and our other free email newsletters:
Headlines > The latest news stories from across the country and around the globe in the fight against antisemitism, extremism and hate.
Center on Extremism Monthly > News, trends and a look at the work ADL's Center on Extremism (COE) experts do every day.
My Region's Newsletter > ADL in your community, fighting antisemitism, extremism and hate of all kinds — and ways you can get more involved.
Fighting Hate Online > News, trends and legislation to fight online hate and harassment from ADL‘s Center for Technology and Society.
Education Update > Anti-bias curricula, lesson plans and resources to help promote equity in schools and communities.
Advocacy Matters > ADL’s vital policy work in Washington and around the country, and actions you can take to counter hate and extremism.
International Report > Our work around the world fighting antisemitism and other forms of hate, and what you can do to get more involved.
ADL Latinx > Issues of interest to the Latinx community and resources in both English and Spanish.