THE WEEK’S BIG 3
More than half of American Jews said they encountered antisemitism following the start of May’s violence in Israel and Gaza, according to a survey released by ADL. The boycott of Facebook last summer by thousands of companies demanding a sweeping crackdown on misinformation and hate speech led to limited change on that platform, but did cause promising progress at other social media sites, a new report says. The Biden administration unveiled a national strategy to combat domestic extremism, calling for aggressive steps such as hiring more intelligence analysts and screening government employees for ties to hate groups.
Read on for more on these headlines, news you can use to fight hate and the latest info about ADL from around the country.
- New Poll: More Than Half of American Jews Encountered Antisemitism After Middle East Violence
“Its findings suggest a dramatic uptick in the number of Jews who have witnessed antisemitic behavior, or heard or read an antisemitic comment. A January survey found that about the same proportion of Jews had witnessed antisemitism over a much longer period — five years.” Forward: FULL STORY
+ READ: Survey of American Jews since Recent Violence in Israel
+ Jonathan Greenblatt tweet: The takeaway from our latest survey is clear: the recent surge of #antisemitism we’ve seen in the streets and on social media has taken a toll on the American Jewish community.
- Last Year’s Advertising Halt on Facebook Led to Change, Report Finds
“The report from the Anti-Defamation League (ADL)—one of multiple civil rights groups involved in launching the #StopHateForProfit campaign last June—analyzed the success of the boycott in realizing its goals a year later. Facebook did make two ‘significant’ changes responding to boycott demands: hiring civil rights leaders to evaluate discrimination and bias, and cracking down on extremism in both public and private groups.” Forbes: READ MORE
+ One Year After Stop Hate for Profit: Platforms' Progress
+ ADL tweet: A year ago today, we launched #StopHateForProfit to demand @Facebook address hate and extremism. Since then, we've worked each day to hold them and other social platforms accountable—it’s led to meaningful change but there's more to do.
- White House Unveils Strategy to Combat Domestic Extremism
“The strategy, which aims to coordinate efforts across the government, outlines four priorities: improving information sharing among law enforcement agencies, preventing recruitment by extremists groups, investigating such groups and confronting the longstanding drivers of domestic terrorism: racism and bigotry.” The New York Times: LEARN MORE
+ READ: ADL Commends First-Ever U.S. Government Strategy to Counter Domestic Extremism; Calls for More Work to be Done
+ ADL Resource: The PROTECT Plan
KEY ADL SOCIAL STATEMENTS
- 6 years ago, an evil act of #hate took the lives of members of the AME Church…
- Congratulations to my friend Tom Nides on his nomination to serve as US Ambassador to Israel. With a new Israeli government , Tom’s diverse experience and knowledge are welcomed assets to forge ahead in this new chapter of US-Israeli relations…
- We can and should have policy debates. But pushing a narrative libelously accusing Israel of ethnic cleansing or not seeing Palestinians as human - or focusing only on Israeli airstrikes without recognizing those are responses to attacks by terrorists - is wrong and dangerous…
IN THE COMMUNITY
- Young Jewish boy randomly attacked in Fairfax area (FOX Los Angeles – Jeffrey Abrams interviewed)
- Boston-area high school football team had long history of antisemitic behavior, report finds (JTA)
- New Jersey hookah lounge removes anti-Semitic ‘Stop the New Nazis’ sign (JNS.org)
ADL IN THE NEWS
- FBI warns lawmakers that QAnon 'digital soldiers' may become more violent (CNN’s OutFront with Erin Burnett – Greg Ehrie interviewed)
- US Senate passes a resolution condemning the recent rise of antisemitism (The Jerusalem Post)
- 'Don't ban us for being Jewish': Jewish TikTok creators say they feel silenced by the platform (NBC News)
For more information about Fighting Hate for Good with ADL, visit ADL.org, or subscribe to
- COE Monthly > Stay informed about extremism, terrorism and hate with news and trends from the experts at ADL's Center on Extremism
- Advocacy Matters > Monthly update about the federal advocacy work of the ADL
- Education Updates > Monthly updates about anti-bias education and curriculum
- International Report > Monthly news and information on key events from around the world
- ADL Latinx > Monthly news and resources in English and Spanish for the Latinx community
- Sentinel > Periodic updates concerning hate; online and on the ground
- Your Region's Newsletter > Regular updates from your local ADL office
- Echoes & Reflections Updates > Holocaust-education content for the classroom, helping teach the themes and lasting impact of the Holocaust.