THE WEEK’S BIG 3
Six days after being kicked off Facebook, notorious anti-Semite and leader of the Nation of Islam Louis Farrakhan was invited to speak at a church in Chicago, where he delivered his typical brand of bigotry and anti-Jewish hatred. The Harvard Lampoon, a satirical magazine on campus, was forced to apologize after publishing an inappropriate and doctored photograph of Anne Frank in swimwear. On Capitol Hill, ADL and others call on Congress and the Administration to do more to effectively combat the threat posed by white supremacists.
Read on for more on these headlines, news you can use to fight hate, and the latest info about ADL from around the country.
1) Farrakhan Refers to ‘Satanic Jews’ While Denying Anti-Semitism Allegations
“Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan referred to ‘satanic Jews’ while denying allegations of anti-Semitism on Thursday, just days after he and other ‘dangerous figures’ were permanently banned from Facebook for promoting ‘violence and hate.’ The Hill: READ MORE
2) Harvard Lampoon Apologizes for ‘Sexualizing Anne Frank’ with Bikini Cartoon
“The doctored image ran below the headline, ‘Gone Before Her Time: Virtual Aging Technology Shows Us What Anne Frank Would Have Looked Life if She Hadn’t Died.’” The Washington Post: READ MORE
3) ADL and Susan Bro, Mother of Heather Heyer, Testify on Capitol Hill About White Supremacist Violence
“The hearing was organized to ‘examine the administration’s efforts to collect accurate statistics on and combat white supremacist hate crimes and domestic terror,’ as well as to ‘discuss the impact on the communities most victimized and targeted by white supremacists.’’” Richmond Times-Dispatch: READ MORE
+ Testimony of George Selim, ADL Senior VP of Programs
+ The Growing Threat of Online Extremism – CNN news segment featuring ADL experts
KEY ADL SOCIAL STATEMENTS
• A Washington state man has been arrested for making online threats against Jews and political figures…
• President Trump’s State Dept is trying to deny U.S. citizenship to children of same-sex couples born abroad…
• Another house of worship has come under attack in New Haven, CT…
IN THE COMMUNITY
• 4 Smiling Teachers Posed with a Noose. Now They’re on Leave, Along with the Principal (Los Angeles Times)
• North Philadelphia Mosque Explains How Children Wound Up Reciting Violent Poem in Video (Philadelphia Inquirer)
• Rise in Anti-Semitic Attacks Alarms North Texas Jewish Community, Builds Resolve to Eradicate Hate Through Education (KTVT-TV, CBS Dallas – Cheryl Drazin interviewed)
ADL IN THE NEWS
• The Feds Need to Up Their Game Against Domestic Extremists, Say Critics (NBC News)
• Put Hatred Back in the Sewer Where It Belongs (CNN – Jonathan Greenblatt Op-Ed)
• Monroe Man Pleads Guilty to Making Threats Against Jews (Associated Press)
To get Headlines in your inbox every Thursday, subscribe to this free ADL newsletter today.