Stay in the loop: Get ADL news
September 04, 2020
THE WEEK’S BIG 3
Facebook announced new steps to limit voter misinformation in the upcoming election – which didn’t go far enough. A skirmish between alt-right and Black Lives Matters protesters ended with the shooting death of a supporter of the far-right group Patriot Prayer. ADL and the National Urban League announced a new partnership, starting with a pilot program in Philadelphia on voting rights.
Read on for more on these headlines, news you can use to fight hate and the latest info about ADL from around the country.
1) Facebook announces steps to address voter misinformation
“The steps outlined by Facebook to limit political ads and prevent misinformation as Election Day approaches are at best a baby step forward and, at worst, a dereliction of their responsibility to act on content that violates the rules of their platform,” stated ADL CEO Jonathan Greenblatt in Newsweek: READ MORE
+ Read: Full list of demands from ADL and the Stop Hate for Profit campaign
2) Slain Portland Protester Supported Right-Wing Group Patriot Prayer
“The far-right political group has a history of holding rallies in downtown Portland, where they're met by anti-fascist counter-demonstrators. The encounters have frequently turned violent.” NPR: FULL STORY
+ ADL Resource from 2018: Patriot Prayer, Proud Boys Organizing Potentially Combustible Portland Event
+ READ from The Wall Street Journal: Q&A -- What Is Antifa?
+ READ from The Washington Post -- Portland killing renews focus on tactics of far-right group Patriot Prayer
3) Anti-Defamation, National Urban Leagues Launch Project to Strengthen Young Voter Turnout
“’We are living in a time right now where we are dealing with long-overdue issues of racial injustice,’ said Jonathan Greenblatt, CEO and national director of the Anti-Defamation League. He joined Marc Morial, CEO of the National Urban League, on a video webinar Monday to announce the launch of the project, titled ‘Our Time, Our Vote’ — an effort to increase young voter turnout and engagement in the political process.” KYW Radio, Philadelphia: FULL STORY
+ READ: ADL Partners with National Urban League on Pilot Voting Rights Project in Philadelphia
KEY ADL SOCIAL STATEMENTS
- It’s incredibly dangerous and somewhat staggering that @POTUS is choosing not to condemn the tragic shootings, killings, and violence in Kenosha…
- Iran's Khamenei routinely spreads #antisemitism. His deeply hateful post clearly violates @Twitter's rules against comments that "dehumanize, degrade or reinforce negative or harmful stereotypes."
- It’s disturbing to see neo-nazis and white supremacists continue to use college campuses to recruit young people to their violent, hateful movements…
IN THE COMMUNITY
- Swastikas Found on NY Shopping Center Building (Jewish Journal)
- Donations flood Chabad Center as it looks to raise $1 million to rebuild after arson (Delaware NPR)
- ASU investigating after Nazi posters found on Tempe campus again (The Arizona Republic)
ADL IN THE NEWS
- Trump retweets video tying BLM, antifa to an assault. Neither group was involved. (The Washington Post)
- An expert analyst breaks down the ‘militia movement’ and other groups involved in the Kenosha and Portland shootings (JTA)
- US Army suspends officer with 3 million TikTok followers for Holocaust joke clip (The Times of Israel)