Stay in the loop: Get ADL news
May 12, 2022
THE WEEK'S BIG 3
German airliner Lufthansa is under fire after apparently blocking all visibly Jewish passengers from boarding a flight in Frankfurt. Two Jewish men, in separate incidents, were assaulted at random this week in Brooklyn, with one assailant allegedly demanding the victim say “Free Palestine.” Neo-Nazis protested outside the entrance to Florida’s Disney World this past weekend, drawing condemnation and outrage from ADL and Jewish community leaders.
Read on for more on these headlines, news you can use to fight hate this week, and the latest info about ADL around the country.
1. ADL Blasts Lufthansa's "Non-Apology" After Jews Blocked from Flight
“The airline said a ‘large’ number of passengers had been kept from boarding on May 4, but it did not specify how many people were blocked from the flight, which went from Frankfurt to Budapest. Passengers on the flight from New York estimated that more than 100 people were not allowed on their connecting flight.” The New York Times: LEARN MORE
+ ADL tweet: This non-apology fails to admit fault or identify the banned passengers as Jews. It also refers to them as a group, even though many were strangers. They had one commonality—being visibly Jewish.
2. Several Jewish Men Attacked in Brooklyn Over Past Few Days
“The most recent incident happened around 2 p.m. Tuesday in Flatbush. Video shows two men walking when one of them was punched. There was a similar scene in Williamsburg on Sunday when a person was attacked while walking with children.” CBS News: FULL STORY
+ ADL New York/New Jersey tweet: There is no justification for violence against Jews. This is another disturbing instance of Jews being violently assaulted by someone allegedly shouting “Free Palestine” and it is unacceptable. Targeting Jews is not activism, it is #antisemitism.
3. ADL Calls On Public Officials to Condemn Protesters Flying Nazi Flags Outside Disney World Over The Weekend
“The sign outside the entrance to Florida’s Disney World has been a lightning rod for protests of late. This past weekend was no exception. Video surfaced online both Saturday and Sunday of protesters marching outside the entrance to the park holding Nazi flags, one seemingly dressed in a German WWII uniform.” Deadline: READ MORE
+ ADL tweet: Abhorrent display of antisemitism outside of @WaltDisneyWorld in Orlando this weekend. At a time when incidents of anti-Jewish hate are at their highest, it is incumbent upon all in positions of power and leadership to condemn this bigotry.
KEY ADL SOCIAL STATEMENTS
- There is no doubt of the immediate and ongoing harm to the Native community from the Boarding School era. We are pleased to see Congress receiving important testimony on HR 5444 and look forward to seeing its final passage…
- As we said after the deadly 1/6 attack on our Capitol – Donald Trump should be banned from Twitter. Permanently…
- QAnon remains a dangerous and violent #extremist movement that poses a national security threat to the U.S. It is deeply sickening that adherents are flocking to the southern border to intercept children. Vigilantism cannot be tolerated…
IN THE COMMUNITY
- Swastika spray painted on Madison resident's trans flag, part of growing trend of anti-Semitism (ABC Madison, WI – Trent Spoolstra interviewed)
- Antisemitic incidents more than double in Michigan in 2021 (NPR Michigan)
- Guest column: A problem that doesn’t come and go with a few signs (Ventura County Star, CA – Dan Meisel op-ed)
ADL IN THE NEWS